🔕 🔔

How do I add applesauce to a cake recipe?

This is a very wet gingerbread batter.
Should I substitute the applesauce for (some portion of) the eggs, butter, molasses, or beer? Does it matter?

asked by Sophie over 3 years ago

Applesauce can be substituted for OIL in a recipe, not for eggs, molasses, buter, or beer

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd probably start by replacing the beer with applesauce -- depending on how wet the batter is it could work as a 1:1 replacement, but you may need to add extra liquid if it's too dry. You can replace melted butter with applesauce as well, but I think you'll have less textural change by replacing the beer. If you go with the fat replacement, start by only substituting half (or less) with the applesauce.