What type of beer should be used when a recipe calls for "beer" batter?

My girlfriend is making a beer batter fish and is unsure what type of beer to use.

asked by Kelly almost 4 years ago

I've read and have been told that a cheap mild beer (like Old Milwaukee or Bud Light) is the best for beer batter. The beer is added for the carbonation so that you get that light crispy crust. The higher the carbonation, the better. Beer isn't really there for flavor. So drink the craft beer and use cheap stuff for the batter.

Meaghan F

I've heard the same for batter, and know people with dietary restrictions who have substituted a mix of club soda and vinegar. Braising, though, is the opposite - you want dark and flavorful good beer for that.

I have heard "cheap beer" as well - my cousin makes GREAT fish-n-chips (in London) and uses only Kronenbourg (which he refers to as wife beater beer by the way - not sure why!)

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I would go with inexpensive lager, more flavorful and/or stronger beers might impart flavor, and I do not mean it in a good way :)