🔕 🔔

What should I add to butternut squash soup to bring up the flavor?

I used Martha Stewart's recipe for butternut squash soup with apples. No problem except that the flavor is too subtle. I'd like to wake it up and would appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

asked by RussellW almost 3 years ago

I like fresh ginger and some curry-like spices....and a good dose of freshly ground pepper.

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

I think a splash of sherry (or something similar) is a great addition to butternut squash soup. Ginger is also nice. Also, make sure you've salted it enough -- that will help to bring out the other flavors.

Sage! Goes with squash amazingly. But yeah ginger would be nice too.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

How about Apple cider?

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

The Silver Palate Cookbook has a wonderful curried butternut squash soup with curry powder, apples, and apple cider. It is delicious, and you can regulate the amount of curry you use. http://www.tastebook.com... I use apple cider in the place of apple juice.

We like to add a splash of vinegar, extra ginger and fresh grated parmesan (not for on top but in the soup). Delicious.

Ginger, Lime or coconut.

Try a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil

I like to use cumin, in addition to warming spices such as cinnamon and ginger. Freshly cracked pepper is also fantastic.

88aa60b1 61dc 4397 af9f 1de849e623de  fb avatar

Garam masala!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

When something like that tastes a little flat, I find that the fix (besides maybe salt) is often a little acid - with your soup, a splash of either sherry vinegar or apple cider vinegar perhaps - not enough to make it taste vinegar-y, just a bit to brighten it up. Also as a garnish, a drizzle of toasted pumpkin seed oil or balsamic vinegar reduced to a syrup adds a little something.