What should I add to butternut squash soup to bring up the flavor?

I used Martha Stewart's recipe for butternut squash soup with apples. No problem except that the flavor is too subtle. I'd like to wake it up and would appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

asked by RussellW almost 4 years ago

mpm6228

I like fresh ginger and some curry-like spices....and a good dose of freshly ground pepper.

I think a splash of sherry (or something similar) is a great addition to butternut squash soup. Ginger is also nice. Also, make sure you've salted it enough -- that will help to bring out the other flavors.

CanadaDan

Sage! Goes with squash amazingly. But yeah ginger would be nice too.

How about Apple cider?

Bevi

The Silver Palate Cookbook has a wonderful curried butternut squash soup with curry powder, apples, and apple cider. It is delicious, and you can regulate the amount of curry you use. http://www.tastebook.com... I use apple cider in the place of apple juice.

equilibrium

We like to add a splash of vinegar, extra ginger and fresh grated parmesan (not for on top but in the soup). Delicious.

Julieta L.

Ginger, Lime or coconut.

lisabu

Try a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil

Yianna

I like to use cumin, in addition to warming spices such as cinnamon and ginger. Freshly cracked pepper is also fantastic.

cook4you

Garam masala!

When something like that tastes a little flat, I find that the fix (besides maybe salt) is often a little acid - with your soup, a splash of either sherry vinegar or apple cider vinegar perhaps - not enough to make it taste vinegar-y, just a bit to brighten it up. Also as a garnish, a drizzle of toasted pumpkin seed oil or balsamic vinegar reduced to a syrup adds a little something.