A local recreation center that caters to seniors, has a request for donations of non-perishable food items. I can think of the usual,but any ideas?

This is not a food bank, but the closest is 20 miles. So, would like to get the most bang for the buck, but ease of food prep for these "seasoned" folks is important. Thx to all.

Susan W December 9, 2014

Most will donate rice, pasta, flour, sugar etc. It's common for seniors to not get enough protein. I think canned salmon, tuna, chicken and sardines would be appreciated. Also canned tomatoes. Trader Joes has a very inexpensive, clean canned marinara sauce. It's tasty. Comes in a big green can.

bigpan
bigpan December 9, 2014

I agree with Susan, but check the sodium levels in the T Joe's stuff - or and canned goods. High sodium content in US canned products is not good for blood pressure in seniors, children and adults (hmmmm, that's everybody)

Susan W December 9, 2014

That has pretty much been disproven. Salt is problematic for people who have hypertension, but it doesn't cause it.

Pegeen December 9, 2014

Almond milk, soy milk or cow milk in box containers. Cereal, the kind without sugary content. Bottles of juice are troublesome: certain fruits are OK for some people, others are not. Dried pasta, canned tomatoes or tomato sauce. Dried fruits without a whole lot of sugar. Avoid granola mixes that have dried nuts. Oatmeal or packets of oatmeal without a whole lot of sugar.

The recreation center probably has a list of things most needed. Good to you, for helping.

boulangere December 9, 2014

I'd suggest calling them and asking what they are most in need of. Food pantries typically receive near daily donations of "fresh" fruit from local grocery stores and Costcos - the quotation marks meaning that it's pretty close to being beyond the pale. As far as donations from the public go, there is usually an abundance of dried pasta, rice, peanut butter, canned beans, canned tomatoes. So give them a call and see if there is anything they specifically need.

sexyLAMBCHOPx December 10, 2014

Agree with Cynthia with calling. Instant coffee and tea may be appreciated.

Chef Lisa
Chef Lisa December 10, 2014

Thanks to all. I will call them, but you've added things that I'd not considered! You are the best!

kimhw
kimhw December 10, 2014

Sometimes it is the non food items that are most needed. Paper towels, soap, toothpaste, cleaning supplies, vitamins, ibuprofen, laundry detergent, lotion, toilet paper, foil, plastic wrap, plastic baggies.... I know these are some of the items that go the fastest from our food pantry. I am crazy about my coupons for these items and stock up when they are on sale.

cookinginvictoria
cookinginvictoria December 11, 2014

NPR did a piece recently on best things to donate to a food pantry. Their advice: try to donate nutritionally dense items such as lentils, canned tuna or canned salmon, peanut butter without added oils or sugars, brown rice, quinoa or kidney beans. http://www.npr.org/blogs...

Sam1148 December 11, 2014

Sriracha sauce, and other types of hot sauce. In fact get a box of those little bottles of tobacco sauce. As people get older some lose their sense of taste and they crave hot sauce as a seasoning. Also Get some of that vinegar with hot peppers you shake on cooked greens.