Le Creuset grill pan… What am I doing wrong?

I have been using my Le Creuset Dutch ovens and cast iron pans for over a decade and half, and have nothing but praise, admiration and utmost devotion for the brand. I cook almost everything in my Le Creusets. Last year I bought the square grill pan (and a panini press that goes with it), and the thing just does not work for me. Food sticks to it. Plus it is difficult to clean. Has anyone had similar experience? What do you recommend? What do you cook in your grill pan? Any tips, suggestions, recommendations are greatly appreciated.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

kimhw

I have had mine for nearly two years and I haven't touched it in over 18 months because of everything you said. Uneven cooking, sticking, hard to clean. I just don't understand why because I have 10 other le crueset that I can't imagine my cooking life without.

Lynette

It's terrible, and I have no idea why. I take care of all my cookware, but that pan has brought me nothing but grief!

SallyM

I have one too...annoying!

I've had a non-stick All Clad grill pan for many years that works like a charm. Wondering if the LeCreuset problem is just the physics of angled ridges not being able to hold grease or oil as well as a flat surface. Maybe oiling the pan first, or ensuring that the meat is well-marinaded? Does Le Creuset's web site or customer service group offer any advice?

Corrections to my post above: "...the physics of ENAMELED angled ridges, UNLIKE A NON-STICK GRILL PAN, not being able to hold grease or oil as well as a flat surface."

Tasha

I have a cast iron grill pan and we seasoned the hell out of it over a few days. It works amazingly. Although it isn't a Le Creuset. Perhaps they just didn't create it correctly. Maybe contact the company. They may have heard a few other complaints in regard to this problem.

Summer of Eggplant

I have had the same problem with mine as well and switched to Lodge griddle, which is equally a mess. I remember I used to put water in my grill pan and boil it to help loosen some of the debris. And I think Pierino once advised me here on the hotline on a seriously burned pan issue to use vinegar? It smells like hell but works.

A strong baking soda solution works at least as well and doesn't smell.

healthierkitchen

Same! Kind of glad to know that it's not just me!

healthierkitchen

In fact, I'm not even really clear on whether it's supposed to be preseasoned?

EmFraiche

I've had good success making pressed sandwiches with my Le Creuset grill pan, but I agree, it is so hard to clean! I don't use it very often for that reason.

I believe, since it is enameled cast iron, that you can be more liberal in cleaning it than you would wiht regular cast iron (I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong here). I let it simmer with an inch of water for 10 or 15 minutes on the stove and then scrub it gently with a plastic or natural fiber scrub brush. It's not easy work for sure!

Carri

I've had a Le Creuset grill pan for about 4 years and yes, at first the food stuck to it so bad that it was a nightmare to clean. So the more I used it, I made sure I really oiled it well; got the oil all in the groves with a silicon vegetable brush and it seems to be a lot better now. It cleans much easier than before. Maybe it needed that extra seasoning and usage?

pm
pm

Heat the pan on medium heat for 10 minutes. Use a silicone brush to brush it with the highest heat oil that you own so that the whole pan has a thin coat of oil. Then quickly add what you want to grill. I've cooked meat and even large rectangles of tofu without anything sticking too much. I use grapeseed oil, which smokes a little, but seems to work for me.