🔕 🔔

Le Creuset grill pan… What am I doing wrong?

I have been using my Le Creuset Dutch ovens and cast iron pans for over a decade and half, and have nothing but praise, admiration and utmost devotion for the brand. I cook almost everything in my Le Creusets. Last year I bought the square grill pan (and a panini press that goes with it), and the thing just does not work for me. Food sticks to it. Plus it is difficult to clean. Has anyone had similar experience? What do you recommend? What do you cook in your grill pan? Any tips, suggestions, recommendations are greatly appreciated.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I have had mine for nearly two years and I haven't touched it in over 18 months because of everything you said. Uneven cooking, sticking, hard to clean. I just don't understand why because I have 10 other le crueset that I can't imagine my cooking life without.

F57b1562 87d4 403d a31f 7d883480de60  image1

It's terrible, and I have no idea why. I take care of all my cookware, but that pan has brought me nothing but grief!

I have one too...annoying!

I've had a non-stick All Clad grill pan for many years that works like a charm. Wondering if the LeCreuset problem is just the physics of angled ridges not being able to hold grease or oil as well as a flat surface. Maybe oiling the pan first, or ensuring that the meat is well-marinaded? Does Le Creuset's web site or customer service group offer any advice?

Corrections to my post above: "...the physics of ENAMELED angled ridges, UNLIKE A NON-STICK GRILL PAN, not being able to hold grease or oil as well as a flat surface."

C1ea1f13 8f50 4d99 a9f7 06ed2b62c690  image

I have a cast iron grill pan and we seasoned the hell out of it over a few days. It works amazingly. Although it isn't a Le Creuset. Perhaps they just didn't create it correctly. Maybe contact the company. They may have heard a few other complaints in regard to this problem.

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

I have had the same problem with mine as well and switched to Lodge griddle, which is equally a mess. I remember I used to put water in my grill pan and boil it to help loosen some of the debris. And I think Pierino once advised me here on the hotline on a seriously burned pan issue to use vinegar? It smells like hell but works.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Same! Kind of glad to know that it's not just me!

In fact, I'm not even really clear on whether it's supposed to be preseasoned?

92324c6f a8a7 4932 b8ea 156809cc7bae  emfraiche

I've had good success making pressed sandwiches with my Le Creuset grill pan, but I agree, it is so hard to clean! I don't use it very often for that reason.

I believe, since it is enameled cast iron, that you can be more liberal in cleaning it than you would wiht regular cast iron (I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong here). I let it simmer with an inch of water for 10 or 15 minutes on the stove and then scrub it gently with a plastic or natural fiber scrub brush. It's not easy work for sure!