cooking rice for 4 hours?

Last month I was in Tampa and had dinner at the Columbian restaurant. The server said they cooked the rice up to 4 hours and used real butter. Figuring out what he was talking about has been puzzling me because it seems that cooking for that long would create mush. Any ideas what he was talking about? Low and slow?

asked by Fat Tony over 3 years ago

I've never heard of rice cooking for 4 hours. I wonder if the server wasn't paying attention when the chef was going over the menu. It will be interesting to see if someone is familiar with that method.

Marius

Perhaps they were cooking the rice in a slow cooker. im not sure but i think i read somewhere that you could do that

Bea
Bea

There is a Columbian rice dish called Good Rice. Google it, it's the best rice ever.

If you cook rice at a low temperature, i.e. 250 or 275 F., I think you could cook it for four hours. I have a recipe for farro pudding that I bake for four hours. Sometimes I use brown rice, sometimes farro, but the pudding is always scrumptious. It is pudding, though, not like a typical cooked rice.