🔕 🔔

kitchen-aid meat grinder hopper has oxidized! What can I do???

Looking back Kitchen-aid said that most parts are dishwasher safe. When grinding meat I feel that it is so important that everything be so clean so I've put all the pieces in the dishwasher. I LOVE this piece but now what to do....I've been wiping and wiping and the gray dust/slime keeps coming. ugh

asked by bamcnamara almost 3 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Soak it in vinegar, and wipe off. That gets rid of the oxidation.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

SKK, does it get rid of oxidation forever? I have the same problem as bamcnamara, but with the flat beater and dough hook on my Kitchen Aid mixer... BTW, Bar Keeper's Friend does not help - the oxidation keeps on coming back.

9222c532 27a1 4ba1 88e4 001b7bd829f8  image

Two different thoughts . . . . Can you grind some soft bread (like packaged sliced sandwich bread) through it? It might do a good job taking the grease away. Another thought, there's a cleaning product called Bar Keeper's Friend that is very good at stubborn cleaning products. Presuming that the metal in your meat grinder is appropriate for the product, you might give that a shot. You might be able to figure that out here: http://www.barkeepersfriend.... Good luck!

Ff4cd9f0 157d 4005 91d8 86ed521de349  img00020 20100410 1015

Mine has been soaking in vinegar all morning. Oxidation is coming off but there does not seem to be an end in site...wiping and wiping and wiping..Vinegar wasn't better than soap and water :(

There is another grinder that I found online from Smokehouse that is all stainless steel. Its $169. I've been doing a bit of research and the artisan mixer (which I have) does not have the horsepower to grind a whole deer-----but I only do a few pounds once or twice a week!!! but it would be nice if kitchen-Aid made their pieces in stainless. The gray schmooze is disgusting. I'm assuming these pieces would also oxidize with bleach. Ugh!!!!

ktr

We have the cheapest meat grinder Cabela's makes and have processed many deer with it over the years and have never had any problems with oxidation. Even with it being a cheaper model, we've never had any problems with the amount of power it has either. I don't remember what we paid for ours but that sounds like a good deal to me.

Chowhound has a similar thread and one recommendation was for cream of tartar
http://chowhound.chow.com...

THANK YOU!!!!!!! Great thread!