I need recommendations for a vacation in Kauai! We will eat everything. Any suggestions?

We will have a place to stay with a kitchen, so any ideas for shopping and eating out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Posted by: Mei Chin
  • February 10, 2015

bigpan
bigpan February 10, 2015

Bistro 808 is good - take your own bottle of wine. Great menu from a couple chefs who used to work at the Four Seasons Wialea. The crab dip appetizer is to kill for.
There is a restaurant in Kihei across the driveway from a vacation rental tower whose name I forget but ca easily found on Google - very near where Kihei turns in to Wialea. They offer superb sushi and 'American' dinners at reasonable prices. Happy Hour starts at 4, the line up starts at 3:30 ! Superb food.
Most places in Lahina are ok if you want burgers.
Or, buy picnic food at Foodliner or Safeway and go to the beach.
For serious romance, make a reservation for a sunset dinner at the Four Seasons Wialea - the poolside restaurant. You will keep that memory forever.

bigpan
bigpan February 10, 2015

Ooooops, thinking of Maui. sorry.

HalfPint February 10, 2015

There is something called Sunshine Market. It's a farmers market that moves around. Ask the locals about the schedule. Reasonable prices for local produce.

If you can find it, get some Kona crab. So meaty, even more so than Dungeness crab.

HalfPint February 11, 2015

Can't forget about the shaved ice. There's a good one in Waimea called JoJo's. Get your shaved ice with azuki beans and cream.

Here's the schedule for Sunshine Market, http://www.kauai.gov/Kamaaina/SunshineMarkets/tabid/214/Default.aspx

Mei Chin
Mei Chin February 12, 2015

Thanks so much, bigpan and HalfPint!