🔕 🔔

Saffron! I'm just starting to use it but am trying to add it very slowly so I don't over-do it and have an expensive AND untasty dish. So far I used it in challah (as I'd seen here) and in rice. It didn't seem to impart any flavor! Am I not using enough? I added a few threads to 1 cup of uncooked rice while it was cooking, for example.

asked by Raquelita over 6 years ago
34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

I typically use a pinch or so (maybe 12-16 strands?), and I've found that exposing it to heat helps the flavor/aroma develop - either by toasting it lightly in a pan or by adding it to a hot liquid like stock or broth.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Add more. Saffron should impart not only a lovely golden color, but a very distinctive flavor as well (hard to describe - somehow both earthy and elegant.) A good dish to experiment with its flavor in a very pure form is a classic Risotto Milanese - Marcella Hazan, Lidia Bastianich, Mario Batali - there are lots of good recipes out there.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Definitely bloom it in water or other liquid to get the most flavor. I agree with amysarah, try a saffron risotto to get a feel for the flavor. Best of luck!

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

...or paella or arroz con pollo. Be generous with it. Per the advice you've received it needs to bloom in either water or stock to lend it's full character.