Saffron! I'm just starting to use it but am trying to add it very slowly so I don't over-do it and have an expensive AND untasty dish. So far I used it in challah (as I'd seen here) and in rice. It didn't seem to impart any flavor! Am I not using enough? I added a few threads to 1 cup of uncooked rice while it was cooking, for example.

lastnightsdinner
lastnightsdinner December 29, 2010

I typically use a pinch or so (maybe 12-16 strands?), and I've found that exposing it to heat helps the flavor/aroma develop - either by toasting it lightly in a pan or by adding it to a hot liquid like stock or broth.

amysarah December 29, 2010

Add more. Saffron should impart not only a lovely golden color, but a very distinctive flavor as well (hard to describe - somehow both earthy and elegant.) A good dish to experiment with its flavor in a very pure form is a classic Risotto Milanese - Marcella Hazan, Lidia Bastianich, Mario Batali - there are lots of good recipes out there.

hardlikearmour December 29, 2010

Definitely bloom it in water or other liquid to get the most flavor. I agree with amysarah, try a saffron risotto to get a feel for the flavor. Best of luck!

pierino December 30, 2010

...or paella or arroz con pollo. Be generous with it. Per the advice you've received it needs to bloom in either water or stock to lend it's full character.