🔕 🔔

How far in advance can I cook my corned beef for a party on Saturday? (Today is Wed)

I have 8 pieces to cook (they are about 4 lbs a piece). Also if I refrigerate them after cooking what is the best way to bring them to warm or room temperature? BTW I am not preparing them from scratch (unfortunately) I am using the store brand Freirich. I don't have a pressure cooker either. Thank you!!!!

asked by bamcnamara over 2 years ago

32 pounds? That’s a lot of corned beef!

Some questions:
- Are you cooking them in the oven with any vegetables (cabbages, potatoes, carrots, etc.?)
- You have to pour something over the beef while you’re cooking it. Do you have a recipe for that?

Assuming you’re cooking beef only in the oven without vegetables:
I assume you can fit two roasts together onto large roasting pans (place them fat side up). Normally, for one 3-4 lb critter, it would be a 300 F preheated oven but if you’re cooking two at a time, I’d increase the temp to 350 or 375. Roast until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of each roast registers 165 F. Take out and let sit for 10 minutes, will continue to cook. It’s going to take 2-1/2 to 3 hours or even longer to roast them if you’re doing 2 in the oven at the same time. It’s better to do them side-by-side and rotate the pan front to back once during roasting. If doing each roast on a separate pan, on two separate shelves, rotate them between shelves halfway through cooking time.

You have to let them cool completely before you refrigerate them.

I wouldn’t refrigerate longer than 48 hours. And you need to be sure your refrigerator is cold, 40F (not crammed with too much other stuff or being opened and shut all the time).

Take corned beef out of the refrigerator 2 hours before serving, to come to room temperature.

Ff4cd9f0 157d 4005 91d8 86ed521de349  img00020 20100410 1015

thank you for taking the time to write your response. I was honestly going to boil them...I was thinking they would get too dried out in the oven. Yes its a lot of corned beef...there's actually more but my mother is going to do a few for me!

By the way, in case it's helpful, freirich.com, your vendor, has a web site with recipes and also a contact/help line.

p.s. Sorry, meant to add: you can't roast the beef in the oven with cabbage, potatoes or other vegetables 48 or 24 hours ahead. The vegetables will be total mush. You'd need a separate plan for them.

A related question, for normal amounts of corn beef ( 1 piece, a few lbs) do people prefer oven or stove top methods. I come from a long line of corn beef simmerers, have never roasted.

For one piece, a few pounds, I prefer simmering. That way you have the flavorful water for doing the cabbage and potatoes.

Hi bamcnamara - So even if you are boiling, the answer is the same. 24 to 48 hours in a cold fridge. You will have to cook the potatoes and cabbage separately, ideally the day you are going to serve them. Although the potatoes could be boiled a day ahead of time.

Pegeen, agree abour cooking the vegetables separately, closer to the serving time. But/and is your two-day limit for thev cooked beef based on taste or safety? Stilltasty.com bases its duration advice on USDA etc standards, I''ve found them to be reliable and they say 3-4 days refrigerated for cooked corn beef. What do your think?

P.s. agree with ensuring the fridge is 40F, not crammed, spacious enough to allow quick and thorough cooling.

Nancy, my guess is that, for taste reasons, you could push refrigeration to three days, but only if the beef was brined first and stored cooked with juices. Otherwise it's going to get tough.

bamcnamara, we'd love to know how your project is going. How are you going to do your potatoes and cabbage? Stove top or roast by themselves in the oven? Hope it's going well!

ktr

I like to cook corn beef in a crockpot with an inch or two of water. Would you be able to fit all the meat in a large roaster? Then you could just throw them in on Saturday morning and not worry about them the rest of the day until you are ready to eat.