🔕 🔔

Moldy flour -- should the entire bag be thrown away?

I just opened a new bag of white flour and there are blue streaks on the surface of the flour that look like cheese mold. Has anyone encountered this before? I am thinking that mold somehow got into the flour, either before I bought it or after I brought it home. It was in our basement in a cabinet for about 2-3 weeks. My instinct is to toss the whole bag. Do other Food52ers agree or is any of it salvageable? Thanks so much. :)

asked by cookinginvictoria over 2 years ago

ktr

If you still have the receipt you could try taking the bag back to the store. Otherwise, if it was me, I'd toss the whole bag.

41127bd3 72ff 4d4a 9406 bb83fa8bfbed  img 0275

Definitely don't use it and I agree with returning it. Most stores will honor a return without a receipt.

I've never encountered this. That said, it sounds a bit alarming, and you are wise to question its safety. The bag may have been exposed to moisture at some point in its journey to your basement cabinet, which sounds like a perfect growth place for mold once the bag got there. I vote with the majority and say no.

i read once, that regardless of your attempt to isolate and throw away affected food, that there are microscopic extensions of mold (meaning you can't see them) that go into what looks like undamaged/unaffected parts of the food. so, in general, for safety's sake, it would be best to not use the flour.

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

Thank you all for your input and for confirming my suspicions. Bag of flour has now been disposed of. Normally, I would take the flour back to the store where I bought it to exchange it, but I suspect that storing the flour in my basement for a few weeks during a particularly damp Pacific Northwest winter may not have helped matters. I definitely won't make that mistake again! :)

57c2b4db ff6f 4a42 80df e415b26baac3  article 2582592 00000eb900000258 935 634x460

Good,better safe than sorry, if anything this will make you more conscious of storage for the future :) life is so busy it's hard to know it all.

You might need a dehumidifier in your basement if you're storing anything important down there.

We'll all sleep better tonight for you, CIV!