Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Have you read this book by Marie Kondo and used her methods? I cleaned out my (tiny) closet and ended up with three bags of clothes to donate. It really was life changing.

Did you have a similar experience using the KonMari method? What things brought you joy that surprised you? Do you have any tips from using the KonMari method to share with folks who want to tidy their pantry or collection of salt and pepper shakers or closet or other part of their house? Thanks for sharing your spring cleaning inspiration and tips!

Books Editor and Stylist at Food52.

asked over 1 year ago
C8bd9f4b a7b2 4d54 81bd a765cd081b29  th

I also enjoyed the book. The thing that still brings me joy is her instuctions on folding and organizing laundry. I smile now when I fold.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I love Kondo and her tips. In my case, though, I can only really clean out much of our "stuff" with the approval of our kids, who need to tell me what goes and what stays when it comes to their possessions. When my daughter last visited, we were able to send a full Chevy truckload of items to Goodwill. Having permission to discard is key.

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

I love that book! I am already pretty good at tidying and purging (e.g. last year one of my New Year's resolutions was to get rid of at least one thing every week -- and yes, I followed through on it), but the KonMari method helped me take my penchant for organization to a whole new level.

I already folded my daughter's clothes on end (instead of stacked), because it is easier to see what she has, but for some reason I didn't think to apply the same principle to my own closet. Also, I used to ball up my socks, and was skeptical when Kondo claimed that those "potato-like lumps" take up more room (and are harder on your socks), but she was right. Folding my socks into compact rolls saved me room in my sock drawer.

Marie Kondo says: "Things that are cherished shine," and, since I already name things (plants, statues, etc) around the house, it wasn't a stretch for me to follow her advice and start thanking inanimate objects for how they've served me (i.e. my purse for carrying all of my stuff all day). Either way, I figure more gratitude certainly can't hurt anything.

F1531b55 0ce5 4282 9176 a43980607475  image

The sock method is pure brilliance. I put mine into old shoeboxes and they don't fall all over the place!

The sock technique is not original. It's how the companies selling drawer organizers (removable divider compartments) have been illustrating their use for decades, if not longer. And her "signature" method of folding sweaters? I didn't realize there was any other way, except that I was taught to start with the back of the sweater up, not the front. Doing it this way leaves the front wrinkle-free, which of course makes much more sense.

I don't fold an extra time and put my sweaters on their sides because I have extensive open shelving in my walk-in closet, so I can easily see my sweaters when they lie flat. I can understand how that might be helpful in drawers, but frankly, I have never had a problem with things getting lost or forgotten because the piles just aren't that big and there's plenty of room between them. ;o)

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I bought white photo boxes on Amazon, and I keep my shoes in them. (With handwritten labels!!!) No more shoe mess and uneven piles of shoe boxes. It looks like a heavenly white tower. Every morning I walk into my closet, look at the white neatness and fell happy all over.

Ali, are you looking for all or only positive reactions to the Kondo book and her method?

For a variety of viewpoints on this, the Guardian readers as always offer a nice mix of amusing (some hilarious), interesting and generally thoughtful comments here: http://www.theguardian...

E75016e9 47b6 4c16 9726 60e0e83283ba  22073 1321490391675 6875987 n
Ali Slagle

Books Editor and Stylist at Food52.

Anything you think would help others with their spring cleaning...

Ali - spring cleaning is good; and yes Marie Kondo & her book are helping people. But/and for another POV see "hey Moms! clutter can be good" march 8, 2015 in NY Post by Naomi Schaefer Riley, who suggests that "cupboards are not a metaphor for your life."

6e94ac16 0a34 4895 9ab2 edafd94c4cd4  stringio

Yes - really enjoying it! I've really enjoyed tidying up by category instead of by room or little bit at a time. We started with clothing - gathered all of it (even underwear) from every room of the house and put it in the living room. The mountains in front of me were embarrassing - it inspired much more purging. I really think I got rid of 60-70% of my closet and now I only have things I love. It's inspiring to try to live simpler and teach my new son about living with less - as a way of living more.