Homemade peanut butter

I'm making my own peanut butter these days (peanuts, peanut oil, a touch of salt and honey) and keeping it in the fridge, but it gets very hard and tough to spread when i keep it there. does homemade PB need to be kept in the fridge or will it survive in my pantry? google gives me mixed opinions...

Jenny Maria
Jenny Maria April 20, 2015

Have you tryde a different sweatner Then honey? Liquid sweatners tends to make nutbutters hard, try a solid sweatner

Andrea Young
Andrea Young April 20, 2015

I keep mine in the pantry with no visible signs of bacteria/mold growth. It may be wrong to do this - I'm sure someone has an opinion on that and we'll hear about it.... In any event, I use 1 lb. of peanuts, 2 T of peanut oil and 2 T honey, and salt to taste. This fits just about right in a 16 oz. Mason jar, and lasts my family 1 to 3 weeks. We've been doing this for a few years with no problems. And yes the PB stays spreadably soft.

Leslie
Leslie April 20, 2015

I use only honey-roasted peanuts, and nothing else. The peanut butter turns out lusciously creamy and smooth and stays that way in the fridge.

Nancy April 20, 2015

And/or make small batches or medium sized batches, pack in containers that will serve for a few days or a week, keep most in fridge and one at room temp.

CanadaDan
CanadaDan April 21, 2015

think i like this answer the best, but will try with sugar instead of honey. thanks everyone