Homemade peanut butter

I'm making my own peanut butter these days (peanuts, peanut oil, a touch of salt and honey) and keeping it in the fridge, but it gets very hard and tough to spread when i keep it there. does homemade PB need to be kept in the fridge or will it survive in my pantry? google gives me mixed opinions...

asked by CanadaDan about 3 years ago

Jenny Maria

Have you tryde a different sweatner Then honey? Liquid sweatners tends to make nutbutters hard, try a solid sweatner

Andrea Young

I keep mine in the pantry with no visible signs of bacteria/mold growth. It may be wrong to do this - I'm sure someone has an opinion on that and we'll hear about it.... In any event, I use 1 lb. of peanuts, 2 T of peanut oil and 2 T honey, and salt to taste. This fits just about right in a 16 oz. Mason jar, and lasts my family 1 to 3 weeks. We've been doing this for a few years with no problems. And yes the PB stays spreadably soft.

Leslie

I use only honey-roasted peanuts, and nothing else. The peanut butter turns out lusciously creamy and smooth and stays that way in the fridge.

And/or make small batches or medium sized batches, pack in containers that will serve for a few days or a week, keep most in fridge and one at room temp.

CanadaDan

think i like this answer the best, but will try with sugar instead of honey. thanks everyone