🔕 🔔

Sourdough recipes

Pita bread, sourdough recipe

asked by Deborah Martin over 2 years ago

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I like all of those things too.

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

I suggest you start with www.thefreshloaf.com ; lots of good information on sourdough baking for bakers at all levels, and there are good links to more websites.
My favorite baking books are Local Breads by Daniel Leader, Bread by Jeffrey Hamelman, any of the books by Peter Reinhard. Other names to look for are Chad Robertson, Josey Baker, Ken Forkish, Maggie Glezer.

What an interesting question, Debora Martin. Peter Reinhart was my Breads instructor in culinary school, and while I recall making pita breads in that class, I know they were not sourdough-based. I've made practically anything possible based on a sourdough barm (I did recipe testing for Chef Peter's The Bread Baker's Apprentice, and have a starter brewing as we speak for a marbled rye), but I have never used it for pitas. Interesting challenge, and I'll take you up on it. I'll let you know the results. Thank you for such a good idea.

I do have a sourdough pita recipe which is fairly good, I use the sourdough pizza recipe and add a bit of oil. I just thought someone might have a better answer. I will post my recipe when I have tidied it up. It uses sourdough plain flour, oil - mix and I can leave it in the fridge over night or indeed freeze when thawed I roll out and cook in the frypan on the stove top, they puff up. If I roll out very thin they become like a flat bread which you fill and roll up. There is a bit of rye in my sourdough