geranium leaves?

I have a recipe that calls for "2 sweet-scented geranium leaves" (based on my research, I assume this means something like rose-, or lemon-scented). Assuming it is best to use fresh leaves (my recipe doesn't specify), does anyone know where it's possible to purchase them? And/or, where one can purchase edible houseplants? (to purchase either in NYC or online). Thanks!

asked by sonya gropman about 3 years ago

I don't know a source but be very careful that if you find something that may work the plant/leaves haven't been treated with pesticides and the like. Sources in NYC might be Fairway. What type of cuisine? That will direct you to an ethnic market.

sonya gropman

sexyLAMBCHOPx -- I think it's more a situation of it being a dated recipe, rather than ethnic (though it happens to be a British recipe). Yes, an unsprayed plant is essential! Thanks.

irina

Try Kalustyan in NYC. They may have them or know where to get them.
Also Pensey's might know.
I know some people make tea of them.
Or toss them in a salad.
cheers
i

JulieS

Koppertcress.com
Frontiercoop.com
Marxfoods.com
Melissas.com
Star west-botanicals.com

sonya gropman

Thanks irina and JulieS for the great suggestions! Kalustyan's is my usual go-to for things like this, but they don't have it (nor does Penzeys). Nor did any of the other sites (though there are some wonderful sources, thanks so much JulieS!). BUT, I think I've discovered a source at the Union Sq Farmers' Market (in NYC) who sells live, potted, edible scented geranium plants in a variety of scents! Thanks, all.