🔕 🔔

geranium leaves?

I have a recipe that calls for "2 sweet-scented geranium leaves" (based on my research, I assume this means something like rose-, or lemon-scented). Assuming it is best to use fresh leaves (my recipe doesn't specify), does anyone know where it's possible to purchase them? And/or, where one can purchase edible houseplants? (to purchase either in NYC or online). Thanks!

asked by sonya gropman about 2 years ago

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I don't know a source but be very careful that if you find something that may work the plant/leaves haven't been treated with pesticides and the like. Sources in NYC might be Fairway. What type of cuisine? That will direct you to an ethnic market.

2b9fc81c 1d80 42d7 9a3c 1a871372b762  img 9060 opt

sexyLAMBCHOPx -- I think it's more a situation of it being a dated recipe, rather than ethnic (though it happens to be a British recipe). Yes, an unsprayed plant is essential! Thanks.

Ba67bb65 4a48 4c32 9267 a44ff4dae0fb  tobacco road 010

Try Kalustyan in NYC. They may have them or know where to get them.
Also Pensey's might know.
I know some people make tea of them.
Or toss them in a salad.
cheers
i

41127bd3 72ff 4d4a 9406 bb83fa8bfbed  img 0275

Koppertcress.com
Frontiercoop.com
Marxfoods.com
Melissas.com
Star west-botanicals.com

Thanks irina and JulieS for the great suggestions! Kalustyan's is my usual go-to for things like this, but they don't have it (nor does Penzeys). Nor did any of the other sites (though there are some wonderful sources, thanks so much JulieS!). BUT, I think I've discovered a source at the Union Sq Farmers' Market (in NYC) who sells live, potted, edible scented geranium plants in a variety of scents! Thanks, all.