Pig roast sides and sweet treat (for 40)

Annual summer solstice party is a pig roast this year! Thinking about a slaw (fave recipe?), German potato. Want 3 sides. Any pickled anything? And an easy (small) sweet treat. Thinking brownie. Lemon bars was suggested.

B774e5f4 d0be 4600 8057 39a8b066a2f7  121850 pig roast sides and sweet treat for 40

Niknud
Niknud June 15, 2015

Yah pig roast! Not entirely sure you need anything else besides the pig, but I'll go for it anyway. My favorite slaw recipe is super simple and super easy and I don't have a recipe so just adjust to taste. Thinly sliced cabbage, thinly sliced onions (paper thin if you can manage it), about a 1/2 and 1/2 mayo-sour cream mixture then add in apple cider vinegar, salt, white pepper, super fine sugar, cholula (or tobasco or whatever) and worchestershire (I can never spell that word) and loads of liberally sprinkled dill seeds...musn't forget the dill seeds. I like a side of quick pickled red onions with bbq pork because it helps to cut the richness. But quick pickled jalapenos would be lovely too. I have a severe case of the bbq envy right now.....

Michele
Michele June 15, 2015

Thanks, love the pickled onion or jalapeño suggestion! Any recipes you like? I will check food52. Much like my husband - he also thinks nothing but pig but I like some veg and sides;). Potato may be ambitious w all I need to do.

Niknud
Niknud June 15, 2015

Pickled onions are a snap. Just bring enough vinegar to cover your onions to a boil with whatever spices you want - peppercorns, fennel seeds, coriander and add the onions, cook for no more than one minute then remove from heat and let cool. Yum!

Garlic Fiend
Garlic Fiend June 15, 2015

Love pig roast! Very envious. My favorite quick pickle is pickled cucumbers, not the usual dill. Slice some cukes (I like the Persian kind), toss with rice vinegar, a few Szhechuan peppercorns (or sub ground white pepper), a dash of sugar, fresh chile pepper slices to taste. Let sit in fridge until you're ready to eat.

Michele
Michele June 17, 2015

Thank you, these sound great - and quick!! Much appreciated!

aargersi June 18, 2015

For the sweet treat, my mind goes to a stone fruit crisp or cobbler, which isn't fussy and you can make in a big giant pan or pans ... peaches are in full swing here in Texas and sooooo delicious. Is ice cream feasible? Will you have a freezer available?

Michele
Michele June 18, 2015

Hmmm, I do have a huge cast iron pan. Ice cream won't work though. Good idea, thanks.

sexyLAMBCHOPx June 18, 2015

We co-host a hogs and claws BBG every September. Sides most usually include a vinegar based red cabbage salad, succotash, corn on the cob, tomato salad and creamy macaroni salad with homemade pickles. Dessert watermelon and boozy ice pops.