🔕 🔔

Fresh garlic

I just got fresh garlic from the farmer's market. What's the best way to store it? It's not dried like the garlic I normally buy at the grocery store.

asked by Jackie over 2 years ago

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Keep the heads as whole as possible, taking only the cloves that you need, and store them on the counter. I try to keep them out of sunlight, too.

I think I misunderstood the question....eh...that's why I bake! :)

Actually, you understood exactly what I was asking! I wasn't sure if I store it the same as I would the kind with the dry paper skins.

1cf6c3cf aa44 45ab be29 bc2e62f4c834  6316848929 fba0cd3703 o

Don't feel bad if it seems to go off faster in the spring and early summer, either- it's the same for everybody else too- your onions and garlic act as if they are still buried and attempt to start growing.

C2efdbf4 1adb 4dbc 84fb 100e21114662  image

What you buy in the grocery is called "cured" garlic. You can use fresh garlic just as you would cured garlic, and store it much the same way (room temp, away from light). If you bought a ton of it and want to preserve it for months to come you need to cure it yourself (basically, dry it). All that entails is putting it in a dry, shady place with good air circulation (I.e. not in a bag or container). Hang it in a closet, garage, attic, etc. away from moisture. After a month or so, the roots should be brittle and the stocks (if there are any) will be dry and flaky. At that point you can rub off the roots and cut the stems to resemble garlic you would see at the store.

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

When I received fresh, uncured garlic in my farm share, the farmer recommended that I keep it in the fridge to preserve its fresh, juicy character. It kept well for a few weeks there, I think.

I store fresh garlic in the fridge just as I do my spring onions and leeks.

Amy

Put it into old (clean) pantyhose. Drop into the leg, and then tie a knot. Then another one and another knot (you can do this with onions too). Hang in a cool spot. This method allows airflow while they aren't touching each other to extend their life.

"Keeping Garlic Fresh
From Cook's Country | December/January 2006

We offer three options for keeping garlic fresher longer.

As garlic ages, the cloves sprout green shoots. These sprouts contain more of the bitter compounds found in garlic and must be removed and discarded before the garlic can be used. The best storage method, then, is one that staves off sprouting. To find out which method is best, we placed garlic heads in bowls, baskets, and paper bags in a dark cabinet, on the counter, and even in the refrigerator and freezer. We also purchased a "garlic keeper," a lidded ceramic vessel with holes that allow for airflow. The flavor of the frozen and refrigerated garlic deteriorated after only one week, though it showed no signs of sprouting. On the counter and in the cabinet, the garlic didn't sprout as long as two conditions were met: The garlic had to be stored away from light and allowed some airflow. So we can recommend three options: storing garlic in a paper bag or garlic keeper on the counter or placing it in a basket in a cabinet."