Hi - I am making rice. Should I stir it or just let it sit while simmering?

Just let it sit.

relentless

After it comes to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and leave it alone.

phyllis

I stir once when I add the rice to the water, then cover and leave it.

Threemealsaday

Leave it alone as mentioned by others. You can add butter before or after; your choice. I have to say that having never had a rice cooker before I love what they do. If you have the room for it (even a small one) they do a create job on cooking rice.

phyllis

Every once in awhile I think about getting a rice cooker, but I have so much cookware and my rice always turns out. I'll have to think about it some more.

If you can't cook rice on a stove top you shouldn't be in the kitchen. Of course I just removed the electric range that came with the home I bought---that was good for nothing but boiling water. But yes, I'm in the chorus, keep it covered and let it sit at low simmer until finished. The big exception being risotto.

RobertaJ

Once the water comes back to the boil, turn the heat down to the lowest setting, cover it, and leave it for 15-20 minutes (follow your package directions). When that's done, take the lid off, place a clean towel over the pot, put the lid back on, and let it sit, heat off, for 5-10 minutes. This will steam the rice to doneness, and the towel will absorb any excess moisture. Be careful to tuck the towel up around the top of the pot if you're still cooking on another, adjacent burner !