Yeast

I have a bread recipe that calls for instant yeast. How can I adapt it to regular dry yeast?

asked by akrainey about 3 years ago

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Yes you can. Here's a post from King Arthur Flour:
http://www.kingarthurflour...

Go down to the second topic.

akrainey

The recipe I'm using calls for instant yeast to be added directly to the flour mixture, not proofing in warm water. If I'm using active dry yeast should I first dissolve the yeast in warm water?

Active dry yeast doesn't require proofing, but probably distributes best and hydrates most efficiently if dissolved first.

Instant yeasts are strains that have been developed to reproduce quickly. In a commercial bake shop, time is money and volume is everything. Because of their rapid risking times, less of them can be used. If your recipe calls for simple instant yeast, use twice as much of your active dry yeast. Active dry yeast is a large particle, and definitely benefits from being hydrated, or activated, befor mixing and kneading.

akrainey

Makes sense. Thanks so much!

akrainey

Now that I've made the dough, it's supposed to be refrigerated overnight before proceeding. Would there be any harm in leaving it in the refrigerator for 24 hr? Thanks for your help!

No harm at all. I routinely refrigerate pizza dough that long, and it is only better for it

cookbookchick

I don't think so. But boulangere (Cynthia) is our expert in these yeasty matters.

akrainey

Thanks. Hopefully, Boulangere will reply will be kind enough to share more of her expertise with me. FYI, I'm making Ottolenghi's Kranz cake (babka).