Yeast

I have a bread recipe that calls for instant yeast. How can I adapt it to regular dry yeast?

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen August 31, 2015

Yes you can. Here's a post from King Arthur Flour:
http://www.kingarthurflour...

Go down to the second topic.

akrainey
akrainey August 31, 2015

The recipe I'm using calls for instant yeast to be added directly to the flour mixture, not proofing in warm water. If I'm using active dry yeast should I first dissolve the yeast in warm water?

Smaug August 31, 2015

Active dry yeast doesn't require proofing, but probably distributes best and hydrates most efficiently if dissolved first.

boulangere August 31, 2015

Instant yeasts are strains that have been developed to reproduce quickly. In a commercial bake shop, time is money and volume is everything. Because of their rapid risking times, less of them can be used. If your recipe calls for simple instant yeast, use twice as much of your active dry yeast. Active dry yeast is a large particle, and definitely benefits from being hydrated, or activated, befor mixing and kneading.

akrainey
akrainey August 31, 2015

Makes sense. Thanks so much!

akrainey
akrainey August 31, 2015

Now that I've made the dough, it's supposed to be refrigerated overnight before proceeding. Would there be any harm in leaving it in the refrigerator for 24 hr? Thanks for your help!

boulangere September 1, 2015

No harm at all. I routinely refrigerate pizza dough that long, and it is only better for it

cookbookchick
cookbookchick August 31, 2015

I don't think so. But boulangere (Cynthia) is our expert in these yeasty matters.

akrainey
akrainey August 31, 2015

Thanks. Hopefully, Boulangere will reply will be kind enough to share more of her expertise with me. FYI, I'm making Ottolenghi's Kranz cake (babka).