Can I use sad-instant yeast in a recipe calling for active dry yeast?

It's for pizza dough:)

asked by fritter about 6 years ago

ChefOno

In a word, yes. (Without having seen the method): Skip the proofing step (if any) and add the yeast to warm (120-130F) liquid for best results..

I'm guessing you mean SAF, not SAD, and you certainly may. Among the benefits of using instant yeast are the fact that you only need half as much as the amount of active dry called for, and you add it straight into the dry ingredients, so that you skip the proofing step altogether. Instant yeasts are strains that have been cultivated to reproduce very rapidly.

Yes you can. I use SAF yeasts exclusively, with excellent results. ;)

ChefOno

Boulangere put it better than I did, typically you add instant (AKA rapid rise) yeast to the dry ingredients, but warm the liquid(s) to 120-130F. The reason for the increased temperature is to compensate for heat lost to the flour and other dry ingredients.