my caramel temperature has quit rising?

the recipe calls for 242 degrees but the temp has stopped rising at 221 - what should i do?

scruz
scruz September 5, 2015

it won't help you much now, but you might need a new thermometer. i don't know how to check one for a temp over boiling water temp.

scruz
scruz September 5, 2015

Jack Noble
Jack Noble September 5, 2015

Thanks, all of a sudden it just popped. We have a thermapen that goes up to 572 degrees. Not sure I understand it, but we got it there finally!

Voted the Best Reply!

hardlikearmour September 5, 2015

Was it a wet caramel? It will hover until the water fully boils off, then will increase in temperature.

TobiT
TobiT September 6, 2015

I have had this happen to me, too, and I've never understood why. Now I know (and will be more patient as the "hover" takes time to resolve)! Thanks!!

Cav
Cav September 6, 2015

Joining in the thanks for the explanation. The world just made a little more sense to me.