cornstarch

I have been using essential oils for quite a while now and I am attempting to make my own deodorant which calls for tapioca cornstarch I cannot seem to find this and am wondering if indeed I can substitute regular cornstarch?

asked by Rebecca about 3 years ago

I think you might do better on a website focusing on home made toiletries/remedies (there must be some?) But I can tell you that cornstarch is often mixed in talcum powder, or used instead of talcum powder - e.g., on a baby's bum. So perhaps it has the same drying quality you're after.

Bob's Red Mill and King Arthur Flour both carry tapioca flour aka tapioca starch. Texturally it's slightly silkier than corn starch, and when I try rubbing a bit of each into my skin the tapioca disappears a little better. You could give it a go with cornstarch -- what's the worst that could happen?

Rebecca

I will have to try those brands. Thank you so much

I think they mean "tapioca starch" or possibly "tapioca or cornstarch". Cornstarch is a good absorbent for moisture. Which may be why it's used in baby powder. Of course, now, doctors and nurses don't recommend using baby powder for diaper changes.

Rebecca

Thank you so very much amysarah!!

Rebecca

Thank you all for the excellent info!!

Cornstarch will work, but it may leave more of a residue. I've tried a few diy deodorant recipes and haven't liked any (I make all of my own cleaning products and love them) so do report back if you like it.

Rebecca

Thank you Sarah. I actually like the one I made where I had to substitute flour for the cornstarch. Crazy as it sounds it feels better, not so gritty and absorbs moisture and odor. Which now that I have learned here is why they recommend tapioca flour/cornstarch.

caninechef

I've used both cornstarch and tapioca starch for grooming dogs ( like a dry shampoo thing, starch absorbs oil from coat) and agree that the tapioca is a bit silkier. I can not imagine using flour, especially after my experience of accidently taking flour instead of cornstart/talc mix to a dog show. I liberally sprinkled flour into the coat of a damp dog and as the glutten developed I had one very gummy dog to clean up.

Oh my..that really is hilarious.

Rebecca

Lol thank you...

I have this "recipe" for a deodorant that doesn't use any starch.

Mix a few drops of essential oil (like lavender) with rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. This is merely a deodorant, not an anti-perspirant. The alcohol kills bacteria that causes odors and the lavender is also antiseptic in addition to being a fragrance. I've been using this deodorant spray for the last 3 years and it works really well. Again, it's a deodorant. It won't 'keep you dry'.

Oooo..I am going to try this. I'm not much of a sweater. I haven't bought lavender yet though. I only have eucalyptus and lemon. As much as I love my bathtub and toilet to smell like eucalyptus, I think I'll try lemon or wait until I get lavender.

@Susan, you can use any fragrance oil that you like since the alcohol is the antiseptic. The eucalyptus can be used for a foot odor spray.

Yes, I was kind of joking about the eucalyptus. I think lavender sounds lovely and I was going to get some to use with my diy laundry soap.