Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Can I add pumpkin to gougeres?

I've seen some recipes online, but they've all gotten spotty reviews. How would canned pumpkin affect a recipe? Any tips on amending a gougeres recipe to make it more fall-seasonal? I would really appreciate any thoughts that you guys have! :)

I'm thinking of Alain Ducasse's classic gougeres recipe -

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
Large pinch of coarse salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
3 1/2 ounces shredded Gruyère cheese (1 cup), plus more for sprinkling
Freshly ground pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat the oven to 400°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter and salt and bring to a boil. Add the flour and stir it in with a wooden spoon until a smooth dough forms; stir over low heat until it dries out and pulls away from the pan, about 2 minutes.
Scrape the dough into a bowl; let cool for 1 minute. Beat the eggs into the dough, 1 at a time, beating thoroughly between each one. Add the cheese and a pinch each of pepper and nutmeg.
Transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip and pipe tablespoon-size mounds onto the baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 22 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Serve hot, or let cool and refrigerate or freeze. Reheat in a 350° oven until piping hot.

asked by EMc about 1 year ago

personally, i wouldn't. gougers are a delicate pastry and i believe the added moisture and density in pumpkin would cause your dough to fall, or not puff at all.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

What's the worst that could happen? I'd probably experiment with a half batch. Reduce the water by 1/3 to 1/2 and the flour by a wee bit (say a tablespoon for the half batch). If I wasn't happy the the result I'd also consider increasing the egg white to egg yolk ratio by removing a yolk from the mix (or half a yolk for a half batch.).

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Right? The worst could happen and you'd still have a pile of tasty pumpkiny, cheesy, eggy goodness.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

The combination sounds delicious. Here's a recipe I found online. I want to try this recipe in a few days. http://goboldwithbutter...

I read that pumpkins are 90% water, so you might substitute pumpkin for the water in the first step and possibly reduce the flour by a little bit, maybe use 1 1/4 cup pumpkin and reduce the flour by 2 tbsp.

Correction, the pumpkin would replace all of the liquid, milk and water. You might add 2.5 tbsp powdered milk to get the water to milk ratio.