Can I add pumpkin to gougeres?

I've seen some recipes online, but they've all gotten spotty reviews. How would canned pumpkin affect a recipe? Any tips on amending a gougeres recipe to make it more fall-seasonal? I would really appreciate any thoughts that you guys have! :)

I'm thinking of Alain Ducasse's classic gougeres recipe -

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
Large pinch of coarse salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
3 1/2 ounces shredded Gruyère cheese (1 cup), plus more for sprinkling
Freshly ground pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat the oven to 400°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter and salt and bring to a boil. Add the flour and stir it in with a wooden spoon until a smooth dough forms; stir over low heat until it dries out and pulls away from the pan, about 2 minutes.
Scrape the dough into a bowl; let cool for 1 minute. Beat the eggs into the dough, 1 at a time, beating thoroughly between each one. Add the cheese and a pinch each of pepper and nutmeg.
Transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip and pipe tablespoon-size mounds onto the baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 22 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Serve hot, or let cool and refrigerate or freeze. Reheat in a 350° oven until piping hot.

asked by EMc almost 3 years ago

skenny89

personally, i wouldn't. gougers are a delicate pastry and i believe the added moisture and density in pumpkin would cause your dough to fall, or not puff at all.

What's the worst that could happen? I'd probably experiment with a half batch. Reduce the water by 1/3 to 1/2 and the flour by a wee bit (say a tablespoon for the half batch). If I wasn't happy the the result I'd also consider increasing the egg white to egg yolk ratio by removing a yolk from the mix (or half a yolk for a half batch.).

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Right? The worst could happen and you'd still have a pile of tasty pumpkiny, cheesy, eggy goodness.

The combination sounds delicious. Here's a recipe I found online. I want to try this recipe in a few days. http://goboldwithbutter...

Adriana

I read that pumpkins are 90% water, so you might substitute pumpkin for the water in the first step and possibly reduce the flour by a little bit, maybe use 1 1/4 cup pumpkin and reduce the flour by 2 tbsp.

Adriana

Correction, the pumpkin would replace all of the liquid, milk and water. You might add 2.5 tbsp powdered milk to get the water to milk ratio.