🔕 🔔

I'm making Moroccan Chicken (tomato, onion, dried plums, spices) and I need preserved lemon and don't have any. I do have lemons. Is there an instant cheat? Or can I use Indian Lime Pickle that I have? Also is there an overnight cheat as I am making another batch tomorrow.

asked by nutcakes almost 7 years ago

B6a74962 31fc 4e50 b866 0ea34483cfb8  fb avatar

Mark Bittman did a quicky preserved lemon by finely dicing a cleaned lemon and mixing it with about an equal quantity of kosher salt. He let his sit for about thirty minutes before using. You could definitely mix that up tonight to use tomorrow.

Thanks, it's working now...do I rinse before using 2Tbsp? Looks awfully salty.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I would rinse the lemon if it has salt clinging to it, much easier to correct an undersalted dish ;~)

Thanks, everything turned out great. The guy is loving it. I rinsed the salt off and chopped the lemon more finely. The Quinoa is a hit for everyone. I'm making the whole dish again tomorrow, for another person, so I can measure what I am doing. I never post recipes here cause I just use T&T ones. But I am starting to see that I change it up a lot sometimes, or mix two dishes, but I never think it is my own.

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

Nutcakes, that sounds delicious. Can you direct me to your recipe? Thanks

90f653b3 3550 42c2 95b4 4a45098ab6cc  cabo

Dona this is a delicious Tagine that Eric Ripert makes at home. I've never had plums on hand so I use chopped prunes which I add with the vegetables. I always add the curry powder. I happen to have a plum (not a prune plum, though) today so I might give it a try.
http://nymag.com/listings...

Thanks, nutcakes. I apologize to all for that huge pictures, I see no editing feature. I thought it would be one of the little avatar type pics.