Thanksgiving Contribution

I have been tasked to bring a vegetable dish to this year's family Thanksgiving. I assume the oven space will be taken, so I am looking for a dish that is delicious at room temperature, will do well with a couple of hours in an insulated dish, or would survive a quick warm up in the microwave. Thanks!

asked by CarbsForever about 3 years ago

Portuguese string beans: Steam cleaned string beans until crisp-tender. Have ready a ceramic or corning-ware type casserole dish or large bowl, into which you've placed good olive oil, garlic cloves (minced and mashed with kosher salt), minced cilantro or parsley and freshly milled pepper. Drain the beans and dump into the casserole while still hot. Toss to distribute the seasoning. Taste and adjust salt and seasoning. Before serving, if desired add a sprinkle of either lemon juice or wine vinegar (white, red, whatever). You can serve hot, cold or room temp.

jeinde

Our family favorite is "Brussels Sprout Hash with Carmelized Shallots" from the Epicurious.com website. You shred sprouts in advance and make it stove top. Can sauté shallots in advance and only takes about 10 minutes stovetop.

Roasted quince & mixed winter vegetables by Gail Monahan
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303680404579143802640881062
Roasted large stuffed portobello mushrooms
many recipes out there - can stuff with spinach, herbs, cheese, etc

recipe author is actually Gail Monaghan

Key
Key

Grilled vegetables! They can be done well in advance (on a grill or a stovetop grill pan) and served at room temperature. They're easy to make, colorful, delicious, and a welcome alternative to all the carb laden goodies at the table.

Most roasted vegetables (e.g., carrots, parsnips, butternut squash, onions, etc. roasted with fresh thyme) do well at room temp, or just barely warm.

Also, some kind of green salad is a nice balance to all the heavy sides (maybe add orange, apple or pear slices and a few toasted pecans) - can be prepped ahead, then just dressed/tossed last minute.

I've made this recipe a few times for crowds. It's a winner. https://food52.com/recipes... Read through the comments for make-ahead

How could I not mention Northern Spy Salad! Check this one out: https://food52.com/recipes...

TheFritschKitchen

I don't know if mashed potatoes count as a vegetable dish, but my family has always done mashed potatoes in the crock pot. That way they aren't taking up valuable stove/oven space and they stay warm and delicious. You could likely do the same with squash! (I LOVE roasted acorn squash, smashed up with a bit of butter and brown sugar. You could do a whole bunch of that and keep it in the crockpot on a warm setting)

Also, should you find some oven space, Alton Brown's green bean casserole is TO DIE FOR.

TheFritschKitchen

Also - Martha's Kale Salad:

https://www.google.com...

It's perfect as a make ahead because the longer it sits with the dressing, the better it tastes (just save the peanuts till the very end, so they stay crunchy!)