What songs do you listen to while cooking Thanksgiving dinner?

What are your go-to Thanksgiving cooking songs? I just put together my turkey day playlist, but I want to hear yours! Tell me the ONE (okay, two or three if you must!) song going onto your Thanksgiving cooking playlist this year!

Voted the Best Reply!

Catherine M. Jordan
Catherine M. Jordan November 23, 2015

Alice's Restaurant. It's a family tradition.

Taylor Rondestvedt
Taylor Rondestvedt November 23, 2015

I always listen to Frank Sinatra while cooking. I occasionally use the wooden spoon as a mic.

PieceOfLayerCake November 23, 2015

This has nothing to do with Thanksgiving, but Henriette or Bobby Tanqueray by Lake Street Dive has been getting me going in the kitchen lately. Pretty much all of their stuff gets me moving.

ChefJune November 23, 2015

My go-to music to cook by is Jazz, especially anything Joe Williams. But I may start my holiday music cycle early this year. I love holiday music. Of course, there's always Joe Williams' holiday CD... :)

Barbara MacLean
Barbara MacLean November 23, 2015

Christmas. Kicks off the season.

Horto
Horto November 24, 2015

Alice's Restaurant

Niknud
Niknud November 24, 2015

I usually classical it up. If I'm fighting the endless amount of chopping I have to do for my husband's favorite stuffing recipe (which he swears he can't live without) - parsnips and apples and celery and onions and on and on and on I usually do a little Mozart's Requiem since it's nice and angst-y there in the first bit. I usually mellow out by the time the mashed taters and gravy comes along at which point I switch to choral music. A little Ode to Joy, a little Brahms. The Christmas classical channel on Pandora usually has some good tunes to hum along to. And yes, I know it's not Christmas yet but I love the holiday music and it gets me all warm and squishy feeling.

creamtea November 24, 2015

Classical like Niknud. Brahms Piano Quartet no. 1 in G-minor; esp. the 4th movement when I'm in a mad rush. Youtube it and you'll see what I mean ;)

AntoniaJames November 24, 2015

creamtea, I like the cut of your jib. ;o)

ktr
ktr November 24, 2015

I don't have anything specific for Thanksgiving, but I usually have country or bluegrass on when I'm in the kitchen. Or, more recently, Jack Johnson because my son is obsessed with the Curious George movie.

Niknud
Niknud November 24, 2015

Plus, Jack Johnson is awesome.... :)

ktr
ktr November 25, 2015

I agree! And being sung by a 4 year old makes it ridiculously cute!

aargersi November 24, 2015

The Subdudes are my standard motivational music - Late At Night, Social Aid And Pleasure Club, All The Time In The World - there are loads more but that is my alloted three :-)

HalfPint November 24, 2015

This year Adele and Sam Smith.

Cav
Cav November 24, 2015

Iron Maiden's Run To The Hills feels appropriate.

Debora Morgan
Debora Morgan November 24, 2015

ONE song!? This is a great thread with cruel restrictions ;)

I think once I'm two beers in I'll be breaking out the Christmas music. I also just got back from New Orleans and have all of their local musicians jamming in my head. It may not be seasonal in the traditional sense, but it's energetic and soulful, so I think it fits the hectic mood in the kitchen quite well.

From my NOLA playlist, three vastly different songs:
Birds Fly Away - Theresa Anderson (the live version on Youtube is killer)
Fire Down Below - Valparaiso Men's Chorus
A Good Night - Brass-a-Holics

mrslarkin November 25, 2015

ok don't judge. I've played Pandora's Michael Buble holiday radio all week long. BUT today I discovered Leon Bridges (via Son Little - they are touring together), so I made a Leon Bridges Pandora station and it is rocking my ever-loving world! Try Leon Bridges' Smooth Sailing, or Brown Skin Girl. So good. Son Little's Lay Down is MAGIC.

Beverly Read
Beverly Read November 26, 2015

A little Dwight Yoakum, a bit of Reverend Horton Heat, and to round things out, some Preservation Hall Jazz.

cowgirlculture
cowgirlculture November 28, 2015

I like Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie and Everyboday Eats When They Come to My House. It's fun for the kids too :)