whats the difference between a jus lie and a veloute?

• Posted by: brandon
  • January 11, 2011

ChefDaddy
ChefDaddy January 11, 2011

A veloute is a thickened sauce- usually made of a chicken stock or white veal stock and can also be made from fish stock or shellfish or even vegetable stock. The stock is then thickened with a blonde roux and finished with cream.

A jus lie is usually made with brown veal stock and is finished and enriched with aromatics and reduced and thickened-classically arrowroot would be the choice of thickening agent due to its translucent nature.

Fantastic Mr Fox
Fantastic Mr Fox January 11, 2011

More generally, veloute is one of the seven foundation or "mother" sauces of French cooking constructed as described above. From a veloute any number of classic sauces can be made by adding assorted ingredients (mushrooms shallots and white wine etc).

Think of jus lie, simply as "gravy". As described above, it is either brown stock...or simply the left over juices from cooking meat...that are lightly thickened with cornstarch (or arrow root). The distinct difference is that there is no roux used (butter and flour) and typically the jus lie/gravy is the sauce...not a base from which to make other sauces.

brandon
brandon January 12, 2011

thanks guys, that settles it

stephmc
stephmc March 11, 2013

Uh... not so fast. Velouté is made with blond roux and stock. If you add cream to it, you now have a Suprême. And there are five mother sauces; béchamel, velouté, espagnole, tomato, and hollandaise. Not seven.