Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

can i use a stick of butter, to a already mix cookie dough? forgot to use 2 stick of butter

Forgot to use 2 butter stick in cookie recipe, can I add 1 stick of butter to already made cookie dough?

asked by Patricia Ramirez 12 months ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

You mean there's already flour in there? Probably not a good idea--in order to beat it well enough to blend everything together, you'll develop the gluten and end up with tough cookies. Why don't you try baking off a few cookies and see what happens? If you look at mrslarkin's Chubby Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, they came about when she accidentally put an extra cup of flour into the cookie dough mixture. They're a happy accident. Maybe yours will turn out ok, too. If not, no point in ruining a good stick of butter.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

I would pitch the botched mixture and start over. As an ingredient, butter is relatively expensive, not something to waste.

As drbabs suggested, you should cook off a couple of cookies to see if they'll work out before trying to incorporate any more butter. If it doesn't work out and you remake the recipe, you'll be out four sticks of butter instead of just two.