Your favorite recipe for salted cod...

My go to dish is salted cod salad with potatoes, olive oil and parsley. But I make it often in the winter months, and now looking for something new...

pierino January 2, 2016

Brandade is my favorite.

Nancy January 2, 2016

Have on my wish list but haven't made this one yet.
Sounds good, if you and your family like fried and/or spicy foods:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food...
(slang notes: butties are Brit-speak, even Yorkshire-speak, for sandwiches)

amysarah January 3, 2016

I love Brandade - I basically use Patricia Wells' recipe in Bistro Cooking, but I usually gratinee the top. But I also love a Spanish (or Portuguese) Bacalao con Arroz. I do it with both rice and a layer of potatoes on top, browned until crispy - and for total effect, a garlicky green sauce (lots of garlic, parsley, olive oil, etc.) served alongside to drizzle on top. It's mouth watering good.

QueenSashy January 3, 2016

I have not made brandade in like ages -- you and pierino just reminded me that I must address this soon :)

ChefJune January 3, 2016
cookbookchick
cookbookchick January 3, 2016

Speaking of salt cod, I've been thinking of making brandade with some I have in my fridge. I've had it for ages, though I have kept it well-wrapped and refrigerated. How long does salt cod last? Considering why it was salted in the first place, it should be "forever," right? Or not?

Greenstuff January 3, 2016

Stilltasty says 12 months in the refrigerator. I'm sure that traditionally properly preserved salt cod has gone that long or longer even without refrigeration. You should be able tell if it's gone bad--it may turn yellow or other colors or it may smell fermented or moldy. If it's still white and smells like the sea, I'd go ahead and start to de-salt it. I'd check again for color changes and smells after de-salting.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick January 4, 2016

Thanks, Greenstuff, I'm gonna give it a try.