Make creme fraiche

Help! The quart of buttermilk I bought is about a month out of date. Smells fine, like it should. Can I use it in my creme fraiche recipe?

• Posted by: piano13
  • April 6, 2016

Donna Hayes
Donna Hayes April 6, 2016

A website I just looked at said only 1-2 weeks past the "best before" date. So, for safety, perhaps not. A month is a long time..

ChefJune April 8, 2016

Here's a question for you? Did you purchase REAL buttermilk, or what most dairies sell as buttermilk, which is not the same. REAL buttermilk will still be fine, or it will have grown a beard. I can't help you with the grocery store buttermilk, because I only purchase it from a farmstand, and it's the real thing.

Patricia
Patricia April 8, 2016

When I make creme fraiche I only use tablespoon of buttermilk or yogurt to a cup of heavy cream, which won't use a lot of your buttermilk. Could you just make a few batches of muffins, biscuits or scones and freeze them?