🔕 🔔

Matzoh Meal- What are its effects and subs?Tishpishti (Walnut Cake)

Tishpishti (Walnut Cake)By secondbasil: I am wanting to make this but use honey and whole grain flours and maybe half butter. What is the effect of matzoh meal in a cake like this and how might I sub for it??thx for your help.

asked by LE BEC FIN about 1 year ago
159fa81e df11 417f b133 59c3df6008c7  food53

Matzo meal is basically a substitution/replacement ingredient in itself. It 'replaces' regular flours and leavening not permitted for Passover. The walnut cake recipe contributor indicates that it's a Passover family recipe. Loosely speaking, that's also why there's no dairy. If you're not baking for anyone observing a religiously correct Passover you're better off to find a 'regular' walnut cake recipe with flour, dairy, and leavening.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

I did understand all that and know it seems assbackwards, as we say, but I was attracted to the significant amount of orange, and walnuts, and what I'm guessing is the rougher texture provided by the matzoh meal? 'Dense' and not 'light and airy' --is what appeals to me in cakes.

That's hilarious! Yes, you'll be happy to hear that matzo meal (combined with the religiously proscribed absence of leavening) absolutely make the infamously dry, constipating doorstop cakes of seder tables everywhere! Mind you, I happen to love traditional Xmas cake, so the joke's on me, too, for loving something that lots of people seem to find inedible... :-)

GsR

Actually you can get kosher Passover baking powder.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

To be simplistic, matzo meal is just crushed matzos. You could crush your own, similar to making cracker crumbs. They're on the fine side, but not ultra-fine -- that's matzo cake meal.