🔕 🔔

planning a dinner/birthday party (for 12-14) for my husband...loves beef, not fussy. I am a decent and confident cook. I lean toward seasonal/quality ingredients...any ideas?

asked by zametkin almost 6 years ago

If he is a beef lover he might appreciate a standing rib roast, whole beef tenderloin, or whole New York. I find it easier to cook a large cut of beef and slice portions for a big party. Especially if served buffet style you can carve for each guest going by with out getting cold and slice one for yourself as the last guest goes by and you can be seated right along with all of the guests.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

ChefDaddy's got it. A whole tenderloin or roast would be great - maybe with a vegetable gratin of some sort and some roasted potatoes. Just read the blog Wednesday Chef tonight and she talks about the Zuni Cafe chard panade which would be great. Do a madeira or other red wine reduction.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

How about beef tenderloin with bearnaise sauce? Or if you wanted to go really fancy you could make beef wellington.

Ohh...I vote for the Bernaise! Sounds like the menu is set.

The rib roast is a great idea and so easy you will be free to make great sides. These roasted polenta squares are wonderful and mostly do ahead. Use as an appetizer or a side--it's very 90's but so good! I'd love something done with chard or other greens to go with.

Food52 just had a short rib contest, so don't neglect some of the braises there. You can make it a day or two ahead and reheat. A similar idea would be to do a daube of beef. I once made one that took 3 days of marinating and cooking 3 cuts of beef and it was fantastic, served with soft polenta. From Paula Wolfert's The Cooking of Southwest France. It wasn't difficult, no one usually gets to eat these long cooked braiseit's a treat.

I'd do a Beef Bourguignon . . . it's easy, people love it, it's better if made the day before, can be kept warm in the oven until ready to serve, etc. etc. And not many people in the US get to eat it often.Or, at least, not as often as they'd like. ;o)

663f6437 fe75 4f5a 97d5 5dae5bece2ad  img 4597

People who love the flavor of beef love hanger steak, which is cut from the abdomen, near the liver of the cow and retains a tiny bit of that earthy flavor. You can cook it Zuni style and rub with a decent amount of kosher salt or fleur de sel about 6 hours before hand. It's so easy to sear and serve that (if you cut out the center tendon before salting) that you can devote yourself to creating some great sides, as others have suggested!