Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Maine

I'm planning a getaway to Maine with my husband in late June and I'm a little overwhelmed figuring out where to go and stay. We are planning to spend a few days in Portland and then would like to travel up the coast and stay somewhere else for a few more days. Any recommendations on a favorite city or inn? And food suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thank you.

asked by melissav 7 months ago
A418b087 0a00 4189 ab48 7ff2ddf9f59d  image

I love the Casco Bay Area, lots of lobster pounds! But I'm very partial to Monhegan Island, reachable only by mail boat out of Port Clyde just north of Portland. No cars, rustic and beautiful. Also, the June issue of Bon Appetit magazine did an article on the food of Portland. Hope this helps.

0022585b ac31 476f 99fb ddea69bdece6  fb avatar

Check out Bar Harbor. It's close to Portland and absolutely lovely.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Don't miss the lobster rolls.

Lots of great restaurants in Portland: Fore Street, Honey Pot (don't miss that one) Street & Company, Hugo's, PaiMen Miyake, Bao Bao, Eventide....
The city is well worth a couple of days if only to eat. Up the coast to Camden (about 2 hours), nice hotels, B&Bs and more terrific restaurants. Primo, Francine, Long Grain, Fresh, McLoon's Lobster and Waterman's, etc.,etc. You won't want to leave - a lot of us don't

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Come up to Brunswick and eat at the wonderful Tao Yuan, whose chef has been nominated for a James Beard award and featured in Saveur and Food and Wine. Visit the museum on the campus of Bowdoin College. Go for a boat ride in Casco Bay. Take in a show at the Maine State Music Theater or a concert at the Bowdoin International Music Festival. Climb Bradbury Mountain for a view of the ocean (on a clear day). Go for a walk on the beach at Popham Beach State Park. Visit all of the little shops on Front St. in Bath (including Now You're Cooking---great kitchen store). Visit the Farmer's Market on Saturdays at Crystal Spring Farm. Eat seafood at Morse's Cribstone Grill or the Dolphin or on the dock at Five Islands (Reid State Park is next door.) Stay at the Brunswick Inn on the town mall (not to be confused with the Brunswick Hotel and Tavern, which is different). Take a day trip up to Rockland to visit the Farnsworth Museum to see the Wyeths, etc. Lots of places to eat in Rockland and Camden-Rockport (Long Grain!). And just south of Brunswick is Freeport, home of L.L. Bean and nice for shopping, if you like to do that, which I don't. (Bar Harbor, by the way, is several hours from Portland and quite overwhelmed with tourists in the summer. Nice in fall, though.) If you plan to eat in some of the famous places (Primo, Fore Street, Francine, etc.), better book now. And yes, lobster rolls are very nice, but hardly worth the wait in the famous places (like Red's in Wiscasset=major traffic jam). The Dolphin or Morse's should be able to make you a nice one. Don't let anyone fancy that up---you want the basic article.

D22e715c 166f 4578 8ad4 1e169fc809ba  ry 400

Thank you everyone! I think I'll need to diet before we head up so I can make room for all the amazing food!

Bb52f6ce fef6 4f17 99d6 628351bdaaf8  shadow

When I worked on a farm in Maine, we'd deliver veggies Duckfat (the best fries) and pick up treats for ourselves and day old bread for our pigs from Standard Bakery--I still dream about their baguettes. (If you're there on a Saturday, check out the farmer's market, too!)

If you do head out to Bar Harbor, absolutely spend some time wandering Acadia National Park. It has striking cliffs and water and skies and many non-grueling trails.

If you make it up towards Camden/Rockland and you fancy a drive through villages and farmland, definitely head to John's Ice Cream on the Belfast Augusta Road. It is not a fancy place, but it is honestly the best ice cream in the world. No one makes a better pistachio (pair it with chocolate raspberry!). You can swim in nearby St. Georges lake, if it's warm enough (but it's never really warm enough).

2525f653 b225 4c8f 9925 212187a6f013  2aea6da

If you happen to pass through or by Thomaston on your way to Camden (which you should definitely go to- such an adorable little town) please please stop for Dorman's blueberry ice cream! Made with wild Maine blueberries I dream about it on the regular. Have fun! :)