🔕 🔔

Need help with a shrimp recipe. While on vacation in St Martin I had a shrimp scampi that was the best I've ever eaten. It was not on pasta, just the shrimp itself. The shrimp appeared grilled and was very garlicy. It was also blackened. I'm not sure how to make shrimp like their's. Does anyone have a suggestion for what they cooked it in that may have blackened the shrimp like that?
Thank you!

asked by mishale over 6 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Blackened seafood is a technique that was developed by Paul Prudhomme in New Orleans. You season the shrimp with a special seasoning blend of usually salt, pepper, paprika, dried thyme, dried oregano, and sometimes cayenne. Some recipes also call for onion and garlic powder. It's tricky to blacken at home because it requires a cast iron skillet and extremely high heat. Higher than you probably want in your kitchen. And you can use a grill, but you also have to be really careful not to overcook the seafood. You could probably get similar flavor from using the seasoning blends and grilling on both sides, then finishing off in a garlicky sauce. My brother-in-law does this; in fact I just posted his recipe:

And here's some more info about blackening:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5271565_blackening...

9848bd7f 4343 4a4a 8dbc 694f97ffd18d  s538818392 1497440 3193 1

Buy a dozen clams, open, and save juice. In a large pan, add 1/2 oil and 1/2 butter
scallions and garlic. Saute' shrimps on very high flame and turning immediately for few minutes. I prefer to dislay them on a platter, add chopped parsley, assemble the opened claims, add a little seasoned breadcrumbs and parsley. Pour the clam juice over them. Broil for 5 minutes.

5b66356a 9035 48d2 8306 ad8bf90e914f  asparagus mushrooms shrimps 022

Why not write them a note telling them the above (i.e. it's the best thing you ever had) and would they possibly part with a recipe as to how they did it. Hard to duplicate a restaurant recipe but surely worth a try. It might not taste the same w/farmed shrimp....assuming they used a Gulf shrimp which is mucho mas mejor. Perhaps a good reason to go back.