Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

The recipe for Lacto-fermented garlic pickles calls for Kirby cukes...can I use english or mexican cukes? I don't want to wait till summer to make these.

asked by zametkin almost 6 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

The Kirby's are small and thin skinned. I think you could get away with English cukes cut to size. Sometimes the Costco near me carries baby Persian cucumbers which might also work.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

"Kirby" is an all-purpose descriptor for pickling cucumbers. These are smaller, with bumpy skin, and are not really in season right now, at least in the North. The thicker skin on them makes for better pickles with more crunch. Any kind of cuke will make a quick pickle, but for a pickle that's going to be put up in a jar or stored for a while in the frig, a pickling cucumber is superior. Where the name "Kirby" comes from, I have no idea; you'll never see that name in a seed catalog (same for the so-called "Red Bliss" potato, as there are as many varieties of red-skinned potatoes as there are of pickling cucumbers!).

I had great success making WinnieAb's recipe using medium-sized (i.e., a bit shorter than a standard quart Mason jar) Persian cucumbers. I used garlic chives and a bit of dill. Delicious!! Have fun. ;o)

Thanks. My family loves pickles..I will be cranking these out weekly!

Will let you know later today when I crack open my first jars. Kerbies just don't exist here. I get a mini cuc known here as 'Israeli' More crinkly skin than bumpy. I also did a few small jars of halved jalapenos, just to see....

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

Go for it, and report back! If you're willing to call it an experiment, or playtime, and can risk the cost of the ingredients, you've got nothing to lose!

So the cucs worked alright, but I think my brine was too salty. Think I need to look at a more precise ratio for salt:water and see if I can't drop it a bit. Liked the addition of the chili, but didn't feel enough of the garlic came through. I threw them in whole, thinking I'll give them a light smash next time before throwing them in.