🔕 🔔

This really is about pickles -- pickled garlic. Made a vinegar/sugar bath, added red pepper flakes, salt, a tiny bit of herbs de Provence, cooked. Poured over -- sufficient to fully cover completely peeled garlic cloves. Sealed, put in fridge and waited three days per recipe. But now the garlic has a very definite blue tinge. What caused it? Are they edible or should I throw out and try a different recipe?

asked by SeaJambon over 7 years ago

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

If you can find a Smurf, you might feed it to them and see.... no, really, I don't have a clue! Anxious to see answers!

I have encountered discussion on garlic turning blue quite some years ago. Surprisingly it is harmless. Here is one authoritative comment, you can google for more:
http://whatscookingamerica...

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

You might also check out Keller's "Bouchon" cookbook for his garlic confit. It isn't really a pickle put it works quite well. Added bonus, you get this great garlic flavored oil that can be put to other uses.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Thanks nutcakes - the article on why garlic turns blue was really interesting. Lots of possibilities, but they likeliest winner is that I used regular table salt rather than pickling salt -- who knew the iodine would turn my garlic blue?!