What's your favorite meal for a rainy-night dinner party?

We've finally had some great right here in the Bay Area and I have just a handful of go-to meals for this kind of weather. I still love them all (chicken pot pie, french onion soup, bolognese) but was looking for some new ideas. Have any favorites?

AntoniaJames December 8, 2016

Tuscan Beef Stew - Cook's Illustrated's version is so good! Serve over creamy polenta. Both can be made ahead of time. Perfect for this cold, rainy weather. (I'm in the East Bay.) ;o) If you can't get the recipe, send me a note via my profile and I'll send the recipe to you.

Footnotes
Footnotes December 8, 2016

Thank you!
I just looked it up and see that I should have that issue of Cook's Illustrated.
I'm in Oakland... Isn't the rain amazing?

AntoniaJames December 8, 2016

Loving it! I have lived through two dangerously serious droughts here in the East Bay, so when we have rain like this, especially in November and December, I gleefully check the Chabot Space Center rainfall tracker . . . . (and I checked the Chronicle in pre-internet days). ;o) P.S. I'm serving that Tuscan Beef Stew on Christmas Day, it's so good! I always reserve three or four chunks of beef, which I cut into small pieces and use, with a touch of the gravy, to make beef stew a few days later. Just a "Cook Once Eat Twice" cheat code . . . . .
Also, make that stew at least a day ahead of time. It's improves with the rest.

PHIL
PHIL December 8, 2016

Short ribs over polenta. This one is a contest winner: https://food52.com/recipes... Don't forget a nice bottle of red to go with it.

ChefJune December 8, 2016

When I saw "rainy night" my mind went straight to Osso Buco with Risotto Milanese. But any wonderfully rich stew or soup works just as well.

amysarah December 8, 2016

As others have suggested, something braised and saucy. So many, but a couple of regulars: Beef Carbonnade (Belgian beef stew with lots of onions and beer); Stracotto (Italian pot roast - I make mine with pancetta, porcini, rosemary and lots of red wine); Osso Buco (veal shanks braised with white wine); chicken Paprikash (Hungarian chicken with Paprika and dill.) All served with a matching sauce delivery system, whether egg noodles, orzo, risotto or spaetzle. Big plus is that all the above are better when made ahead and rewarmed.

SMSF
SMSF December 8, 2016

"Sauce delivery system" -- love it!

SMSF
SMSF December 8, 2016

1. Braised lamb shanks with prunes & carrots served with mashed potatoes.
2. Try this excellent pork shoulder ragu (it freezes very well, too):
https://food52.com/recipes...

(Weighing in from cool & soggy Marin!)

sexyLAMBCHOPx December 8, 2016

Beef Stew is great and I love Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic & toasted bread.

Footnotes
Footnotes December 8, 2016

Thank you so much everyone! I want to make every dish! I think for this week we're going to do the Tuscan Beef Stew. And on deck is Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic and pork shoulder ragu. We have a friend dinner party first and then a standing Sunday Night Dinner with the family... so we'll be fed and happy soon!

Nancy December 9, 2016

You've already made your two choices, so this late suggestion is for a third meal or futures.
Do any of several Swiss fondues for appetize, main or dessert (beef in oil, baguette pieces in cheese or fruit/cake in chocolate), raclette potatoes or a Chinese hot pot (also meat, but cooked in broth which is then drunk as soup).
Maybe retro ir jot so much in fasion, bur fun, warming, conducive to talk & laughter.

Nancy December 9, 2016

Spelling/typing w/o coffee. Sorry. Should read "or not so much in fashion, but fun"...
Also the (Asian) Hot Pot can include vegetables, seafood, or egg. Many variations from Japan, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam.

stacy
stacy December 9, 2016

Crock pot French dip sandwiches
http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/06/slow-cooker-easy-french-dip-sandwiches.html
I made beef stock instead of the canned consomme soup. Made my own rolls (KAF Beautiful Burger buns), and some horseradish mayo. Put provolone on the sandwiches, dip in the juices in the crock

It was a nice all day thing, starting with the stock and then the slow cooker and the bread rolls.
Also easy to make for a crowd

Bevi
Bevi December 9, 2016

I have a new favorite dish- -my moussaka recipe on this site. Having made it dozens of times, I discovered that you really cannot mess it up. And it tastes delicious, gives you lots of leftovers, and freezes well after baking.

AntoniaJames January 18, 2017

Sounds absolutely perfect for winter. How nice, too, that it freezes well - exactly what I need right now. Thank you, Bevi. ;o)

MMH
MMH January 21, 2017

Add Pho to your list. I love it when it's cold and you feel sniffly. Plus each person can flavor their own bowl.