🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Dan Leader's 4-Hour Baguette

3bae7f05 ba4c 4ede 8e1f d3f112a46e76  2014 0218 genius william alexander 4 hour baguette 745

I have a question about the recipe "Dan Leader's 4-Hour Baguette" from Genius Recipes. Can I make the dough today and bake it 2 days later?

asked by Clea Mahoney 6 months ago

Though his recipe was designed to make you a (relatively) quick bread, most doughs both can survive and will improve from refrigerator (cool) proofing.
On duration, I have several recipes that call for a few hours or overnight in the fridge.
Somewhere (cannot remember source) I learned that two days was maximum recommended duration in fridge. But could stand to be corrected on that.
Meanwhile, you will need to check your dough-in-fridge about every 8-16 hours and likely pound it down to keep the fermentation going. If you leave it alone for longer than that, the dough (co2) bubbles will get too big and tired, burst and you will loose some or all the raising capacity of your dough.

5251a267 5315 4c13 8c7d dbd9740ff034  fb avatar

Thanks so much for your quick rely! I'll make it tonight and keep the punch-down in mind