A question about a recipe: Dan Leader's 4-Hour Baguette

I have a question about the recipe "Dan Leader's 4-Hour Baguette" from Genius Recipes. Can I make the dough today and bake it 2 days later?

3bae7f05 ba4c 4ede 8e1f d3f112a46e76  2014 0218 genius william alexander 4 hour baguette 745
Recipe question for: Dan Leader's 4-Hour Baguette

1 Comment

Nancy December 11, 2016

Though his recipe was designed to make you a (relatively) quick bread, most doughs both can survive and will improve from refrigerator (cool) proofing.
On duration, I have several recipes that call for a few hours or overnight in the fridge.
Somewhere (cannot remember source) I learned that two days was maximum recommended duration in fridge. But could stand to be corrected on that.
Meanwhile, you will need to check your dough-in-fridge about every 8-16 hours and likely pound it down to keep the fermentation going. If you leave it alone for longer than that, the dough (co2) bubbles will get too big and tired, burst and you will loose some or all the raising capacity of your dough.

Clea Mahoney
Clea Mahoney December 11, 2016

Thanks so much for your quick rely! I'll make it tonight and keep the punch-down in mind