🔕 🔔

salt in cookies

I have some old cookie recipes of my mother's that don't include salt in the ingredients. I have a memory of making one of her cookie recipes while she was living, and asked her why it seemed flat. She asked about the butter, and it turns out she used salted butter in those days for baking. I use unsalted. When I am trying these old recipes, should I use salted butter or is it better to use unsalted with about 1/4 tsp of salt?

asked by ATL 4 months ago
ATL

PS, of course I realize the exact amount of salt would vary according to the amount of dough and proportion of ingredients.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

There are some great bakers on the hotline that will surely give you better insight. In general once you use salted butter your committed to the amount of salt in the butter. By using unsalted butter and adding salt you can control the amount of salt in whatever you're making. the choice is up to you but when baking I usually use unsalted unless a recipe specifically asks for it.

I converted mom's old recipes to unsalted butter and a little salt. I like the results better than with salted butter.

ATL

Thank you, Phil and ChefJune. I always use unsalted butter so this threw me. I'll add salt rather than use salted butter!

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

If you really want to try something fun, sub in kosher salt. You get a bit more salt flavor which is super delicious in richer cookies.