lobster and vanilla?

came across a recipe for lobster and a vanilla cream sauce...have you tried this combo before? can you describe th flavor?

asked by Diari almost 2 years ago

Patricia Hanrahan

Yes. Vanilla is used in savory as well as sweet preparations. It is in fact a very bitter taste on its own. The New York Times and other respected culinary sources available on-line offer recipes for this combination. Lobsters are rich, buttery, sweet; vanilla would be good with those delightful crustaceans.

A while back, maybe 15-20 yrs ago, lobster with vanilla was actually a popular thing, at least at restaurants in NYC with trendy chefs. Can't recall if I ever had it, so can't describe the flavor unfortunately, but it definitely had a moment.