What's your favorite meal that includes dungeness crab?

Hi all!
It's one of my favorite nights of the month; our bi-weekly fish CSA night. Tonight we're getting dungeness crab. (!!) Normally we don't do much more than crack, dip, and enjoy every last bite of crab. If we're feeling fancy we might add a salad.
But I thought I'd see if you had any favorites that I might try. Either with what to eat alongside the crab or a different way to prepare it.
Already hungry for dinner,
Jen

ChefJune February 1, 2017

For me, Dungeness Crab is one of Nature's most perfect foods. I don't want to obliterate or muddy the flavor in any way. I like it plain accompanied by a Sonoma County Chardonnay.

Smaug February 1, 2017

You could go for cioppino, but you had the right idea all along. You must have sourdough bread with it, even if you can't get very good sourdough. One of the great memories of my youth was the occasional trip to San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf- then in it's glory- for crab and sourdough; a simple red sauce and a salad, and dinner is served.

PieceOfLayerCake February 1, 2017

Risotto is always a go to for me. Poach the crabs in seasoned water and reserve the water. Pick the crab and set aside. Make a risotto with the crab stock and whatever else you think pears well the delicate crab. I like brown butter, shallot, sweet corn (during the summer), lemon, chive, chile, etc. Something bright. I then put the crab in at the very very last minute, and finish it off with a sprinkle of toasted bread crumbs. You can do something similar with angel hair too: cook the pasta in the crab stock (leaving the pasta slightly more than al dente) and sauté everything together after its cooked.

Crab cakes are also a nice option. Maybe a minimal crab cake (I don't like a lot of "stuff" in mine), served along bitter greens dressed with lemon vinaigrette.

The goal is not to overcook or mask the crab, but I expect you already thought of that.

PieceOfLayerCake February 1, 2017

pears? oi.....*pairs

JulieL-G
JulieL-G February 1, 2017

Melted butter or Mayonnaise for dipping the crab, warm sourdough bread, steamed artichokes and a green salad with oranges and toasted pecans. Chocolate mousse for dessert.

pierino February 1, 2017

Seafood gumbo for which you can use any kind of crab and/or shrimp/or crawfish.

Joy Huang | The Cooking of Joy

I'm usually too lazy to eat crab, but for ginger scallion crab, I will roll up my sleeves and take off my jewelry so I can get every single last morsel of meat. This looks like a pretty good recipe: http://rasamalaysia.com/ginger-and-scallion-crab/2/