The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

What software do you use to organize all your recipes? I really need something that I can use to archive recipes, cross reference ingredients and use as a tool to develop recipes. There are so many out there, I don't know what to choose. Thank you!

asked by Helen's All Night Diner about 6 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

For the recipes in cookbooks, I love eatyourbooks.com. You enter your cookbooks, and when you want to make something, you put in the name or the ingredients. It finds the page in all your cookbooks where the recipes are and even gives you a shopping list. For other recipes (like from this site or other online sources), I'm hopeless. I have a big file of them printed out. If I were smart, I'd at least organize them into categories, but I haven't done that yet. I find the search engine on this site works really well.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

I have been using MasterCook for years and like it a lot.

211ab5bd 0ad4 4c53 ba1e 328efbe655fd  fb avatar

I have been testing out Living Cookbook, and like this one a lot--it has a conversion program where you can "cut & past" from web sites and other online sources..I like it very much. Like most software it has a learning curve..

Fd116375 451e 4017 948e fac0f670ad4b  100 0933

Eat Your Books sounds intriguing, but it would steal away the pleasure of leafing through my cookbooks to find the one perfect thing to make in just that moment..

If you are using a Mac, then consider YummySoup. It allows for direct import with very little effort of recipes found on websites. I've imported many recipes from food52! It is even available in the new Mac App store. There is even word that there will be a companion app for the iPad soon.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I am not familiar with recipe software and suspect I am missing out! My low[er] tech approach is to email recipes to myself and keep them in a folder labeled recipes. I can then search my email for ingredients to somewhat filter through and find stuff. Then I can access them on my phone or my work computer . . .

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I use Delicious, a bookmarking site, for online recipes. It's been very helpful, but of course as time goes by and the list gets longer and longer, it's harder to find what I want -- I suppose that's true no matter what you are using. www.delicious.com is the site; you set up whatever tags you want so the indexing will be useful to you.

I love Eat Your Books -- it's brought books back into use that I hadn't really seen for years, and gives me a jumping off point for browsing.

Neither of these would specifically be a 'tool for developing recipes.' I suppose you need to follow the software suggestions for that.