🔕 🔔

julia child's croissants

I usually make Nancy Silverton's croissants, but I thought I would make Julia Child's recipe instead. I was too lazy to go upstairs to get the book (it's in Baking with Julia), so I looked online. The version I saw called for active dry yeast, so that's what I bought. The book actually says fresh yeast. I know the amounts are different, but can I just substitute one for the other?

asked by Jocelyn Grayson about 1 year ago

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

Yes, it's safe to assume the recipe was converted properly. Fresh yeast was much more common when the book was written; it was available in any grocery store.

7124ef9e 8cee 4d7c 8ab8 fa611e8ce383  jocelyn 2006

I read online that active dry head needs to be dissolved first. The version I saw had it dumped into the bowl with the other dry ingredients?

It needs to be hydrated at some point; once again, assuming your recipe was competently written, this will happen. The practice of dissolving yeast is partly a holdover from the old practice of "proofing" yeast- basically making sure the yeast is still active before going on with the recipe. Modern yeasts, while they will go bad, are much more dependable, and this practice is seldom necessary.

As a sort of side bar- "instant" or "bread machine" yeasts are becoming popular in recipes. I do not use them, never saw any reason to spend the money, but from what I've read they're designed to be added with dry ingredients. They are the same yeast, but processed differently- the granules are smaller and there is a higher percentage of live yeast.

Ccdf44a6 8626 4428 8d79 7435e28f1e4a  img 0075

Just make sure your block of butter and your dough are the right consistencies when you start your laminating. It sounds like you know what you are doing...

Thanks! I decided to go back to my old standard, which ironically doesn't proof the yeast!