🔕 🔔

How can you make brown sugar?

I live in a place where brown sugar is not easily found. I can find brown pouring sugar but not the packing kind. I miss this with some recipes. Any ideas out there?

asked by T.T. over 6 years ago

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

Brown sugar is just sugar with molasses added. The ratio is 1 cup sugar to 1 Tbsp molasses for light brown sugar, and add a little more molasses for dark brown sugar. Easy peasy!

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I posed the same question a while back and got these replies: http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...
However, if you are making cookies (as I was) you will probably find that the substitution does not yield the same results . . .

Had exactly the same issue when we lived in India. There are different kinds of brown sugar, and some are actually simply less-refined sugars, but the vast majority is simply white sugar to which molasses has been added back in. Experiment a bit with the proportions to get the darkness you're after. Now, follow-on is that I don't know how easily you find molasses? If you're having trouble, 'treacle' is a dark molasses and works fine and health food shops might be a source of molasses if you have a hard time finding it in regular supermarkets where you are.

Thank all of you for your answers.Everyone imparted some good info.I.am missing a nice caramelization and taste with the pour variety. I find brown sugar in Thai grocery stores at times. It seems to ferment or spoil after a bit of time. Still haven't quite figured it out yet. I can find molasses. I'll have to start experimenting.

A friend who lived in Bangkok before coming to South Africa recommends Villa Supermarket, or making friends with an American diplomat...seems they stock it at the commissary!