Do I need to refrigerate washed raspberries? I'm using them tomorrow afternoon.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick February 13, 2011

Yes!! If they are wet, they will begin to turn moldy overnight. Drain them as well as you can, put them in a container with holes for air and some paper toweling on the bottom. Dampness is not kind to raspberries!

puresugar
puresugar February 13, 2011

Try to dry them, gently, if you can. Wet and/or stacked might turn them mushy or even moldy, depending on how soft they are now. Then arrange in a single layer between paper towels... I'd store them in a 'warmer' part of the fridge (unless your kitchen is on the cool side).

cookbookchick
cookbookchick February 13, 2011

A single layer -- better yet, if you have the room in your fridge!

TheWimpyVegetarian
TheWimpyVegetarian February 14, 2011

I agree with everyone's comments here but thought I'd add a tip for a great way to dry fragile berries that's worked great for me. Line the basket of a small salad spinner with a paper towel and place the damp berries on the towel. Spin about 10 seconds. Ideally raspberries shouldn't be washed until just before using as they're so fragile, but sometimes it may unavoidable.

Nora
Nora February 14, 2011

Thanks for the salad spinner tip, ChezSuzanne.

ChefJune February 14, 2011

Next time, don't wash the berries until just before you are going to use them. They begin to disintegrate as soon as they're washed. But since they're already washed, I would store them on a flat pan or plate atop some absorbent paper toweling, to soak up as much of the water as possible. Raspberries are very fragile.

mainecook61
mainecook61 February 14, 2011

Raspberries and other soft berries should not really be washed at all, since they develop mold so readily. Imported, out-of-season raspberries---well, you don't really know where they've been so the impulse to wash is understandable. In-season locally raised raspberries, on the other hand, need no washing. If you see local fruits in a market, you can ask if they've been sprayed, but raspberries aren't as subject to pests as other fruits, like apples, which have many many enemies! If you have the space, raspberries are a very satisfying and easy crop to grow (and freeze).