🔕 🔔

Which beef is best sub for flank?

I'm making a red curry with noodles. It calls for flank steak, but thanks to our meat CSA, we have ranch, bavette and flatiron steak in the freezer. Does anyone know which would be the best alternative? This is the recipe: http://www.epicurious.com...

Thanks.

asked by jocelyng 3 months ago

F8bcab55 ddd5 4fea b957 f93cfd2a9ccd  dsc02631
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

I'd use the bavette...it's flap meat so it's almost the same as flank steak. Good luck!

74ae45ce 244b 4655 8a1e a8655c72047a  img 4116

Totally agree.

Depending on whether you are slicing the meat before cooking or after this bit may be unnecessary: I've found that its easier to thinly slice flap meat after grilling/cooking if it rests maybe 10minutes longer than usual for beef (so more like 30mins).

7124ef9e 8cee 4d7c 8ab8 fa611e8ce383  jocelyn 2006

Thanks! It gets sliced after (against the grain), so I'll wait longer.

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

Flatiron

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Bavette is just another name for flank steak, this would be the choice.

Flatiron is a totally different cut from the opposite side of the steer; it is a shoulder cut. Sure, it might given decent end results for this recipe, but since you have bavette in the freezer, use that.

If you feel like it, you can also verify with your meat CSA operators. My guess is that someone has asked them a similar question before.

Thanks for the suggestion to contact them directly. They concurred that Bavette is the way to go.