🔕 🔔

custard sauce recommendations

I am looking for recipe suggestions for a close to fool proof custard sauce. I have never made custard of any kind. I offered to bring strawberries and ice cream ( no plan to make ice cream) to a luncheon but I thought maybe I would add some effort and try to bring a chilled homemade sauce instead. I am looking for something with simple vanilla flavor as local strawberries should be the start of the dessert. Also would need to be fine riding around in the car for an hour. Thanks

asked by caninechef 6 months ago

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Custard is such a diverse category....are you looking for something more dense like a pastry cream or something more fluid like an anglaise?

I'm afraid I am not familiar with names of different custards. I wanted to serve it with cut up strawberries so am envisioning something soft, spoonable or pourable and not too complicated. Ideally somehtiing that could be made the night before and transported chilled to the event.

83b2f7bb 6d57 4b26 a96e f27f66b1e409  14355058 10103657439758468 7616383974552013464 n

Sounds like you want a creme anglaise, which is a pourable, liquid-y type of custard. I don't know about fool proof, but it's pretty straightforward. You have to make sure you don't over cook it and scramble the eggs though. I haven't made creme anglaise tons but this one sounds right http://www.foodandwine... and there's also this one on food52 https://food52.com/recipes.... I don't see why it wouldn't travel well for an hour, but maybe PieceOfLayerCake has more insight on that. Good luck!

Not insurmountable problems, but if it were me I'd worry a bit about planning a gift of a dish I'd not made before, and about transporting an egg-based sauce in summer heat (if traffic, car or cooling system have delays or breakdown, sauce may be less than its best on arrival).
Tangential suggestions to accompany the promised strawberries. Some require baking or assembly, some just good shopping:
- champagne, ice wine or vin santo
- triple creme cheese or mascarpone
- biscotti
- a parfait using one of the wines, one cheese, the biscotti. Recipe here:
https://www.bbcgoodfood...

If you're ever concerned about keeping a sauce warm or cool for a period of a couple hours, a heavy duty thermos does the trick. Keep the sauce in the thermos overnight in the fridge so they both have a chance to cool completely and then it should be fine for an hour. Will you have a chance to chill it once you get there? If so, you wouldn't even need the thermos, the custard will be fine at air conditioned temperatures for an hour.

I am not concerned about keeping it cool, it is a fairly modest drive and not likely to have hang-ups. The thermos is a good tip though and I recently purchased a wide mouth stainless bottle advertised as keeping things chilled for 36 hours. So this is probably easier than my original plan of insulated bag and freezer block. A fridge is waiting at my destination.

5931bcf1 b22d 41db bdb0 e856dde60d58  image

I have a custard sauce like recipe which I enjoy calling Fake Creme Anglaise. I have pasted it below for you. I myself love it with bread pudding and also floating island, but it would also be good poured over strawberries.
3 cans (12 fl oz) carnation evaporated milk
6 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup sugar (if you like it sweeter add a few more tbsp)
2 teaspoons vnilla extract
6 tablespoons rum
Over medium heat, combine sugar and cornstarch and gradually stir evaporated milk. Cook stirring constantly until mixture starts coming to a boil and thickens. The longer you cook it the more it will thicken, but I usually stop when the sauce is thick like condensed milk. But I admit this is subjective. Remove from heat and add vanilla & rum. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until well-chilled.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions, and especially the information that I wanted to make a Crème Anglaise. Transporting in a Thermos bottle was perfect. I used the recipe from Food and Wine linked above. It came out reasonably well, a bit too sweet and a bit thin. My guess is I did not cook it enough as I was paranoid about all the warnings on overcooking. Served with picked that morning strawberries with out any added sugar balanced out the sweetness. I will try it again. It made the perfect ending for a June Sunday lunch.