🔕 🔔

How do I use glucose syrup/liquid glucose when baking cakes, specifically Victoria Sponge, Choc Fudge and Carrot Cake?

I am baking my first order of cakes on Thursday and the previous supplier to my customer used glucose syrup in their recipes, they are a larger manufacturer than little old me in my kitchen! Will it help, is it necessary and if so how much do I use?
Any help from you amazing people is very much appreciated

asked by Karen Jacobs 17 days ago

If you want to use glucose, you will need a recipe that is designed to use glucose syrup. The glucose might be there for dietary reasons. We really need a recipe to know how the previous supplier was using the glucose.

Have you got a recipe or even a rough list of ingredients?

37826bf7 8774 4359 b0ae 2331e36f31f9  fb avatar

Hi HalfPint, thank you for your reply, It was for a Chocolate Fudge Cake, ingredients are: sugar, wheat flour, vegetable oil, margarine, cocoa powder, glucose syrup, egg, salt, whey solids (not sure what this is either!?) and sweetened condensed milk. There are no quantities but I think she makes a 12" cake in 2 layers.

I'm just guessing here: I think the glucose is to make the texture of the cake fudgey. I don't think you can omit it without affecting the texture of the finished product. Might be able to substitute with corn syrup, I think you use less of it (I'm just not sure how much).

Whey solids are milk protein. Used in baking for clean taste, added texture, increased protein and longer shelf life (http://bakerpedia.com/ingredients...)

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I feel like a cake recipe doesn't need glucose syrup. I've used glucose in cookies before...and its purpose was to make the cookie fudgy and a bit more dense. It also helped keep their moisture for a bit longer. There are ingredients that will help prolong shelf life and affect texture, but its often at the expense of flavor (in my experience). You'd have to ask yourself where you want to draw the line in the respect between being industrial and artisan. I don't know what your mission is and my intention is not to cast judgement.

I would definitely see if you can get some experience in high-yield kitchens before attempting to emulate them. If you offer to "stage", many will just let you come observe for an afternoon. Just tell them what you're trying to accomplish.

Hi PieceofLayerCake, Thank you for your advice, very interesting. I feel I am getting caught up in thinking about emulating my customers previous supplier which is silly. I need to keep telling myself my business is Homemade cakes, emphasis on HOMEMADE. I think I need to reinforce that with my customer, tell them they may need to adjust their prices slightly because they are going from a large established family company (30 years old) to me in my kitchen just starting out. I don't want to start messing around with preservatives/additives for shelf-life, it's not what I am about.
Thanks again

Something I've learned over the years is to communicate your principles and your mission with you customers and STICK to them. If people know what to expect, they won't be disappointed when you deliver on that expectation. But, if you're wishy washy or vague....they will take advantage of that...to your disadvantage. Things like policies, recipes, flavors (I don't use raisins, I just don't), aesthetics, time limits (cake orders are to be 48 hours in advance, no exceptions)....I make it simple to understand, and nobody argues with me. You're building this business primarily so you can do something every day that you love to do, if a customer shares that vision with you, GREAT! If not...there are plenty of places that will suit them better. You can't be everything to everybody. Listen to what everyone has to say objectively, but in the end, the decision is always yours. Trust me, you will be happier and more successful.

Something I don't do as a cake decorator is sculpted cakes....I'm just no good at them. I'm very clear about being no good at them and frankly, I don't intend on practicing. So, if someone wants Thomas the Tank Engine, they'll have to go elsewhere, because I'd rather lose the business than make a crappy train and lose the customer. When they want something soft and romantic for their honey, they'll come back to me. No fuss, no confusion. I hope that helps. Good luck and please keep us posted.