🔕 🔔

General Tso Chicken - Sauce Question

I have tried several recipes so far and they are adequate. I am trying to get my sauce to be a little richer, with a slight smoky quality. Does anyone have any tips on what I might be able to do, without burning the sauce?

asked by Jim Lane 10 months ago

7345bc7c 9585 4a7f 9a8b cbe7aea7a147  23331285 10214060653810907 1116765438695339526 o

Have you tried a little chili black bean sauce? I think it could add some heft and savory flavor, it is moderately spicy, but General Tso's usually is. I also would think a tsp of chipotle in adobo sauce could add a smokey quality....I have never noticed the recipe being smokey but it sound like a good flavor profile for the dish! Happy Cooking!

Da99f4cd 8368 4906 81f0 2d566f46a46d  image

Though not traditional, I second the chipotle in adobo. I make a decidedly American version of Cashew Chicken where I make the sauce sweet/spicy with a combination of maple syrup, honey and the sauce from chipotle in adobo; with the flavors of garlic, cilantro and red bell pepper it does nod to the classic Chinese-American flavor profile, and it is definitely smoky-spicy. If I recall correctly, the recipe I use originally came from a Rachael Ray 30 minute meals show!