🔕 🔔

Restaurants in Berlin, Prague, Budapest, or Vienna?

Hi Food52 community! I am traveling next week in Central Europe and wondering if anyone can give me recommendations for restaurants, cafes, bars, or regional specialties to try or take home.

I'll be in Kassel, Berlin, Prague, Budapest, and Vienna. I saw there are some older posts about this but thought it would be so helpful to start an updated thread! Looking forward to all of your suggestions!

Maddy

asked by MaddyBelle 16 days ago

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

Have a wonderful time! We spent a few days in both Berlin and Budapest back in June. Berlin was a blur--we went to Maxillian's, a Bavarian beer-garden type place, which was touristy but tasty, with generous servings. I also recall lovely gelato at Caffe e Gelato...weird to go Italian in Berlin, but my daughter was seeking spaghetti eis.
In Budapest, go to the farmers' market for souvenirs--great prices on paprika, condiments, even traditional Hungarian embroideries and clothes. Also partake of the coffeehouse culture--cukrászda--with the most famous being Gerbeaud and Vorosmarty. Get a coffee and pastry, sit outside, and people watch!
We had some nice meals in Budapest: dinner at DaMario one night, then the Hungarian restaurant next door the following night (name slips my mind). We also had fabulous Hungarian dishes at Aurum. For another traditional treat for a light meal, go to Rétesház (Strudel House); watch them make strudel then indulge! We had breakfast there, but it would also work for lunch, or dessert. They make a dozen kinds, both savory and sweet.
On an unrelated note, take a bathing suit and visit one of the thermal baths. We went to Gellert, which has been around for 100 years (no worries, it's been updated but the architecture is fab), but there are other baths/spas that date from the Ottoman Empire. It's a very Hungarian thing to do!

In Budapest, we also had take-out from Pizzica. On the same road, Nagymezö Utca, there's an Asian housewares store (similar to a dollar store?) where I found cookie molds for traditional Hungarian cookies...now to translate the recipe!

C129441c f15b 4f1a a9a5 fba056140e17  img 4680

Thank you so much, this is all wonderful!

Hi - I live in Vienna - which district will you be staying in, and what type of thing do you have in mind?